Any Montana Reefers out there?

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. I'm there all the time. I'm in big timber. What's your setup? I've got my first mixed reef, a little over a year old. WB 100.3. Starting to think about a second FOWLR

I have a brand new 180 gallon that will be a predator reef someday. I just turned the lights on last week and was unprepared for the ugly stage since I've never done a dry-rock setup.

FOWLR seems like a cool idea since you can get all sorts of fish (angel and butterfly) that wouldn't work in a reef. Have you considered running it in a closed loop with the reef instead of it having separate skimmer/filtration?

I just moved here so don't know of any existing frag swaps, but all it takes is someone motivated to get something set up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brand new 180 gallon that will be a predator reef someday. I just turned the lights on last week and was unprepared for the ugly stage since I've never done a dry-rock setup.

FOWLR seems like a cool idea since you can get all sorts of fish (angel and butterfly) that wouldn't work in a reef. Have you considered running it in a closed loop with the reef instead of it having separate skimmer/filtration?

I just moved here so don't know of any existing frag swaps, but all it takes is someone motivated to get something set up.
Count me as motivated. Yes Fish only cause there's a ton of fish I'd love to have but wouldn't get them within spitting distance from my mixed reef tank. I pulled my one spot ff out as he was getting too big and have him in time out in a cube 20, but I know that's got to be temporary. Either rehome him or get the bigger tank

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fishwelcome.gif

Not in Montana, but always love seeing the variety in demographic information for this forum.

OP
OP
B

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats about the size I'm thinking for my FOWLR. What brand did you get? Happy with it? I plan on running a whole separate system just due to logistics

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats about the size I'm thinking for my FOWLR. What brand did you get? Happy with it? I plan on running a whole separate system just due to logistics
I got a custom tank and stand built by Glass Cages and a Rubbermaid sump in my basement. Love it. But for maybe $1000 more, you can get a Red Sea AIO of the same size that comes with all the plumbing, pumps, skimmer, etc.

OP
OP
B

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a custom tank and stand built by Glass Cages and a Rubbermaid sump in my basement. Love it. But for maybe $1000 more, you can get a Red Sea AIO of the same size that comes with all the plumbing, pumps, skimmer, etc.
Nice. I've been happy with my waterbox and may go that route. They price out less than the RS. May check out GC as well. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
B

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Billings. Tank is not currently set up but I will have a 225g, likely SPS dominant, going by the end of the year. Waiting for some new flooring to be installed in the DT area.
Nice. Big one. I've been fragging a pretty Monti. May have some for ya when your ready

Attachments

• 20210626_094247.jpg
    20210626_094247.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 17

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Big one. I've been fragging a pretty Monti. May have some for ya when your ready
Much appreciated! This tank has been a long time coming. I delayed it for quite a while as I thought we were going to build a new home. Ultimately, I decided against a new place and now I’m ready to finally get this thing going!

OP
OP
B

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated! This tank has been a long time coming. I delayed it for quite a while as I thought we were going to build a new home. Ultimately, I decided against a new place and now I’m ready to finally get this thing going!
Very exciting. I'm starting to think about a FOWLR as a second tank. My first is just at a year old now. WB 100.3. I like the WB but I'm looking at the 180 gallon and it ain't cheap. What brand is yours?

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had the time for something like a FOWLR in addition…maybe a good entry for my kids to help out with when they get older

Definitely not a cheap hobby for me! Luckily I’ve had time to buy things here and there to spread out the cost.

I have a Reef Savvy build coming. I have the sump, stand, lighting and other stuff already. At this point I’m just waiting on the glass. When I was thinking of building the new place I told Felix at Reef Savvy to feel free to put my project on the back burner. Recently I let him know I was ready to get it going again

OP
OP
B

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had the time for something like a FOWLR in addition…maybe a good entry for my kids to help out with when they get older

Definitely not a cheap hobby for me! Luckily I’ve had time to buy things here and there to spread out the cost.

I have a Reef Savvy build coming. I have the sump, stand, lighting and other stuff already. At this point I’m just waiting on the glass. When I was thinking of building the new place I told Felix at Reef Savvy to feel free to put my project on the back burner. Recently I let him know I was ready to get it going again
Top of the line for sure. Does he make the cabinet too or do you have to go elsewhere for it?

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top of the line for sure. Does he make the cabinet too or do you have to go elsewhere for it?
He made a recommendation for a builder and I went that way. It’s a zebra wood veneer cabinet. I don’t have a great full cabinet shot but you can at least see the wood grain style and then the tile we will have going in the area in this shot
2C2678D2-07FA-4962-BD40-24A9E2946703.jpeg

OP
OP
B

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He made a recommendation for a builder and I went that way. It’s a zebra wood veneer cabinet. I don’t have a great full cabinet shot but you can at least see the wood grain style and then the tile we will have going in the area in this shot
2C2678D2-07FA-4962-BD40-24A9E2946703.jpeg
Dang, you went all out. Bet it will be a beauty

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back