Any of yall ever see archerfish in a reef before?

Current Tides

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these are some of my favorite fish i own and have regularly been keeping them in saltwater. took about a wk and a half to fully acclimate them from freshwater and their favorite thing is crickets!

DCB24250-92E3-4964-87AC-9C764F2FD521.jpeg D90DD9CD-37BB-49EB-9388-E6B63C549B83.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe they are brackish water fish, just like monos and can make the transition

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these are some of my favorite fish i own and have regularly been keeping them in saltwater. took about a wk and a half to fully acclimate them from freshwater and their favorite thing is crickets!

DCB24250-92E3-4964-87AC-9C764F2FD521.jpeg D90DD9CD-37BB-49EB-9388-E6B63C549B83.jpeg
I never knew... and think I have just the spot for one. What do they eat besides insects!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By chance, have you ever seen any behavior from them that’s indicative of spawning? I’ve been looking at keeping one of the few freshwater (not brackish) species of archerfish in a silver dollar tank, and from what I’ve read on their breeding, no one really knows how they breed, but they think the fish (the freshwater ones included) travel out to the coral reefs to spawn before heading back into the estuaries.

OP
OP
Current Tides

Current Tides

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew... and think I have just the spot for one. What do they eat besides insects!
they're very fun, be careful about species. from what I've read, and because they're isn't a lot of info on them, the banded archer (toxotes jucalatrix) is the only species capable of full marine. however, I've read of other species being capable, but like I said there isn't a lot of info confirming things. though after keeping these 2 for some time, I've noticed differences that I haven't had the time to cross reference, that might indicate a difference in species. but sorry lol they're picky, insects and feeder guppies are choice, but they will sometimes eat mysis if they feel like it.

OP
OP
Current Tides

Current Tides

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By chance, have you ever seen any behavior from them that’s indicative of spawning? I’ve been looking at keeping one of the few freshwater (not brackish) species of archerfish in a silver dollar tank, and from what I’ve read on their breeding, no one really knows how they breed, but they think the fish (the freshwater ones included) travel out to the coral reefs to spawn before heading back into the estuaries.
refer to what I responded to @bnord with about species differences. I haven't seen anything that would suggest spawning, though from what I've read these guys will often travel to reefs to hunt, but IMO going to a reef to breed seems riskier than laying eggs in a river basin or delta (potentially less predators and less movement) but I could be wrong. maybe they spawn in low action parts of the reef? interesting to think about, let me know if you hear anything.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back