Any one have an opinion on the large Fiji Cube Tanks?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really REALLY want another Fiji cube tank, have been looking at the ext 81 and the 108 ( a very special number for me) but a guy can only have some many fish tank the GF thinks....LOL and here I thought I was trying to be good with only 2 and asking for a 3rd.
HA

anyway nice to see updates on these bigger fiji cubes!

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is still newly set up, but corals are coming soon and no complaints! Build link below.

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is still newly set up, but corals are coming soon and no complaints! Build link below.

How was your buying experience with them and what were the shipping times like if you don’t mind me asking. I sent them an email today to try and ask a few questions. Also any thoughts on the stands since I’m looking at a complete setup.

Lonelyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has plugged away without issue!
FDE04EB5-554C-404B-81FC-7239CE1DDEB4.jpeg

65EBA5F6-0069-40CD-8437-09947E700277.jpeg

96AA57FA-AD60-41A5-8523-936A0F035E30.jpeg
How do you feel about the stand quality and silicone seams. Those are my main concerns with any tank to be honest. I have a 7 year old and a dog that run around want to make sure the stand is sturdy enough that if it’s bumped into some it won’t fall apart or fall over. I built my last one and it was way over done to be honest. Appreciate your thoughts

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want to be a downer here BUT.. my experience with FijiCube equipment has been 90% bad. What I got was all a year ago and I know some changes have been made. However, Tanks with seriously crooked seams, SOcks that can only be used once and the seams gave out when cleaning, Lights with horrible electronics and a lot of plastic vs metal connections that strip easily (I know a lot of the equipment was not Fiji original -- Inno Reef? I think for Lights) . I got a leaking sump from the local LFS that sold their equipment. Fixed the leak, leak tested good and went to move the empty sump and the entire bottom fell off. both power heads I picked up failed completely. The AIO I got had the return pump fail after 6 months. Still testing a larger return pump.

So, would I buy Fiji with this track record? No, I have lost all faith in this company. Lower prices, cheap gear, poorly made, failure rate was too high.

But, as to the tanks, both are still holding water but I would look closely at the seams.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont want to be a downer here BUT.. my experience with FijiCube equipment has been 90% bad. What I got was all a year ago and I know some changes have been made. However, Tanks with seriously crooked seams, SOcks that can only be used once and the seams gave out when cleaning, Lights with horrible electronics and a lot of plastic vs metal connections that strip easily (I know a lot of the equipment was not Fiji original -- Inno Reef? I think for Lights) . I got a leaking sump from the local LFS that sold their equipment. Fixed the leak, leak tested good and went to move the empty sump and the entire bottom fell off. both power heads I picked up failed completely. The AIO I got had the return pump fail after 6 months. Still testing a larger return pump.

So, would I buy Fiji with this track record? No, I have lost all faith in this company. Lower prices, cheap gear, poorly made, failure rate was too high.

But, as to the tanks, both are still holding water but I would look closely at the seams.

I've had the exact opposite experience.

How do you feel about the stand quality and silicone seams. Those are my main concerns with any tank to be honest. I have a 7 year old and a dog that run around want to make sure the stand is sturdy enough that if it’s bumped into some it won’t fall apart or fall over. I built my last one and it was way over done to be honest. Appreciate your thoughts

The seams are cleaner and better than my red sea reefer 170. The stand is pretty darned solid as well and is made of plywood rather than mdf.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the exact opposite experience.

The seams are cleaner and better than my red sea reefer 170. The stand is pretty darned solid as well and is made of plywood rather than mdf.

I did not get stands with my tanks, those being the 30 AIO and a 55 cube. The socks with the AIO all came loose at the bottom.. these were not ringed socks, they were bottom and seam sealed (3 seals) heat sealed and were poorly done. This included 3 additional ones I bought from the website a few months later. I repaired them by sewing them with fishing line. I am not saying there aren't decently built equipment but my experience was that of near total failure on the packages that came with the tanks. Included in that was the sump.. which meant someone did not properly either test or assemble it. Like it was the end of the day and whomever was working on it did not complete the job and left. It could have just been my bad luck but based on what I know … Early Fiji stuff was pretty junky. It may have been the supplier parting in cheap equipment as I am aware, Fiji was originally only tanks and sumps. I am aware that locally, the packages are a little different than they were just over a year ago.

As to the tanks. Both of my tanks have crooked panels and those I saw of much larger size did as well and the larger tanks were far more obvious.

I dont doubt your experience, just relating mine. My experience has solidified my You get what you pay for in this hobby.

The last add in I have is that everything I got, such as plumbing parts etc. were all metric.. Metric bulkheads etc. and the inner box on the overflow was seriously loose on the cube. teflon tape was needed to tighten up the seal to the outer box.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not get stands with my tanks, those being the 30 AIO and a 55 cube. The socks with the AIO all came loose at the bottom.. these were not ringed socks, they were bottom and seam sealed (3 seals) heat sealed and were poorly done. This included 3 additional ones I bought from the website a few months later. I repaired them by sewing them with fishing line. I am not saying there aren't decently built equipment but my experience was that of near total failure on the packages that came with the tanks. Included in that was the sump.. which meant someone did not properly either test or assemble it. Like it was the end of the day and whomever was working on it did not complete the job and left. It could have just been my bad luck but based on what I know … Early Fiji stuff was pretty junky. It may have been the supplier parting in cheap equipment as I am aware, Fiji was originally only tanks and sumps. I am aware that locally, the packages are a little different than they were just over a year ago.

As to the tanks. Both of my tanks have crooked panels and those I saw of much larger size did as well and the larger tanks were far more obvious.

I dont doubt your experience, just relating mine. My experience has solidified my You get what you pay for in this hobby.

The last add in I have is that everything I got, such as plumbing parts etc. were all metric.. Metric bulkheads etc. and the inner box on the overflow was seriously loose on the cube. teflon tape was needed to tighten up the seal to the outer box.
Jesus. That freaking blows.

I wonder if they've cleaned up their act a bit since then. Their supplied plumbing parts are now schedule 80 and no longer metric. The inner overflow box was definitely loose on my cube too though, and I ended up sealing it fully with teflon tape as well.

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was your buying experience with them and what were the shipping times like if you don’t mind me asking. I sent them an email today to try and ask a few questions. Also any thoughts on the stands since I’m looking at a complete setup.

I had a good experience ordering from them as I had many questions on measurements of overflow and sump specifications that they answered before I pulled the trigger on ordering. I originally was going to go with Waterbox before ever hearing of this company, but their shipping times were 3-4 months whereas Fijicube was about a month. Glad, I ran into fijicube from searching online further as the glass thickness and sumps are of higher quality. As far as the stand goes it's definitely better quality than Red Sea and from what I've read only planetaquariums makes a higher quality stand, but you pay for it.

Last edited:

Bossanova

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fiji Cube 81G EXT came in. Communication during this entire process was A+.

My overall impression of the tanks combo is overally pretty darned high quality. The display tank looks pristine, the plywood stand looks fantastic, the sump is clean and functional, and it comes with schedule 80 plumbing accessories. Even the ATO and ATO lid is made from 8mm low-iron glass! They did not cut any corners with this setup. The only downside is the kit doesn't come with pre-glued plumbing.

73423455_3175246562550013_7479583342942224384_n (1).jpg
76751430_591650864923146_741736256404193280_n.jpg
76911171_2350629415185729_8794894528763920384_n.jpg
79002697_554020745393205_8607942045547364352_n.jpg
78648614_592128981540125_5298282930634752000_n.jpg
79007001_2541646852618636_1420609687836950528_n.jpg
76720887_420770525499467_6514291633599545344_n.jpg
78730679_2502110216729082_3901789604423925760_n.jpg
76978608_1425540327593815_6530084653548699648_n.jpg
77106966_818340221955187_1635230139920941056_n.jpg
Hey all, new here! Just ordered a 142 INT bundle from Fiji, can’t wait for it. I’m actually keeping discus in it, so I hope you don’t mind if I post here..!

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, new here! Just ordered a 142 INT bundle from Fiji, can’t wait for it. I’m actually keeping discus in it, so I hope you don’t mind if I post here..!

I certainly don’t care if you post here (others might). Many many years ago I kept discus and do know they require RO water with some sort of trace elements. Big initial expense as they are expensive but overall cheaper than reef.

Bossanova

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dicus on a reef forum?? :eek:.....

J/k
please post away. lot of pics of the tank and fish too!
Thanks! Will do. Pretty excited about the 142, should be here in a couple of weeks.

I’ve kept Discus for many years, they’re not very high maintenance anymore, except for very frequent large WCs. Tap water, safe, repeat.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What % of water do you change and how often?

What type filter do you plan to run?

Barebottom?

I'm curious if it's the same as the old school methods?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Will do. Pretty excited about the 142, should be here in a couple of weeks.

I’ve kept Discus for many years, they’re not very high maintenance anymore, except for very frequent large WCs. Tap water, safe, repeat.

good to know I have not looked into them much but had the thought a while back but if I do go FW it would be a planted tank. I have all the stuff for a height tech" 40br bit the GF sand there is a limit on tank I can have. I think a planted would balance out the reefs tho.

I am excited for you and to see lots of pics of the 142! let us know when you get it!

Bossanova

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What % of water do you change and how often?

What type filter do you plan to run?

Barebottom?

I'm curious if it's the same as the old school methods?
70% every other day. I dump a 2400gph pump in the tank to drain it, refill straight from tap, add safe.

for optimal growth for juvies, I did 50% every day, essentially.

filtration will be the Fiji 30 sump, which will have a bunch of seachem matrix (have had it for years in my canisters) and purigen. Filter floss for mech, and that’s pretty much it.
I picked up a 1600gph hydro seltz, adjustable with a pause button for feeding (which is key because I feed Beefheart and it gets messy) A thin layer of Pool filter sand for substrate, can’t stand the look of BB.

Last edited:

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im only responding to the 142g cube in the first post. But i didnt realize rectangles are now considered cubes. Did they change how things are defined in geometry :rolleyes:.. because last i looked a cube is something thats equal on all 4 sides, not rectangle shaped aka a 60 inch long front and back panel

Bossanova

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t say too much but 60”x24”x24” are standard dimensions for a tank in the 140-150 gallon range. I’d say why not.

What’s your planned stocking list?
I’M moving the little dudes from the 120: 9 adult discus, a big school of rummy nose tetras, 12 corydora similis, 3 Otos and some fancy Plecos.
Here are a couple vids of the old setup:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back