Any one have experience with Kolar Lab BAYOXIDE 33 use to bind Po4?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, happy and safe weekend gang.

Time to refill the closet with supplies. High Cap BRS is the standard go to when needed. I have a new online vendor I am trying that doesn’t have it, obviously. They are carrying Kolar labs. They call it Bayoxide 33 instead of standard ferric.

When using the BRS I know to monitor AlK and can get an idea of the depletion rate for the PO4 to avoid tank shock. We should never go in blind to a new media as a test subject if we can avoid it. So, I could not find much in here when I searched, so I am looking for anyone who may have used the Kolar labs stuff for feed back.

Thanks all. Don’t eat too much today..

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to contact them .
There might be different grades of this product each company might use a different name on there product .

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayoxide 33 is GFO. It was available long before reefers started to use it.

Thanks, I read your previous threads on it but was not 100% if it was label thing or big difference ? Any advantages , absorption rate or capacity wise, or exact same with fancy name for rust?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been using Kolar labs for years because it was much less expensive and you could buy in bulk. It's standard GFO.

They were either bought by a larger company or have gone to many distrubuters as now the price isn't much less than standard GFO suppliers.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I read your previous threads on it but was not 100% if it was label thing or big difference ? Any advantages , absorption rate or capacity wise, or exact same with fancy name for rust?

It is not rust. Bayoxide 33 is a special form of iron oxide/hydroxide designed to purify water (mostly for arsenate removal). It has a very high surface area but is a bulk particulate that is readily retained in a filter.

Years ago, individuals and then aquarium companies began buying it and selling it renamed more generically as GFO (granular ferric oxide). I'm not sure if there are presently other bulk manufacturers or not.

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not rust. Bayoxide 33 is a special form of iron oxide/hydroxide designed to purify water (mostly for arsenate removal). It has a very high surface area but is a bulk particulate that is readily retained in a filter.

Years ago, individuals and then aquarium companies began buying it and selling it renamed more generically as GFO (granular ferric oxide). I'm not sure if there are presently other bulk manufacturers or not.

I was being goofy. :p Sorry, I do that a lot

But, sounds like they just slapped GFO on the bottle so we would know what it would be used for?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back