Any other FW fish that can go in SW? Also Molly's r amazing!

Royalreef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all here is the result from the Molly's I recently added to my unmaintained QT. They destroyed the algae within two days!!!

Before on Saturday when they were added:
E7DA2858-04CA-4FF6-A3D2-382B97F944CA.png

Today (Monday) after 2 days:
2C4C184A-926E-42F7-A200-7E8F19FE17F1.jpeg

Any other FW fish that people have tried other than Molly's and guppy's. Has anyone tried plecos, angels, cichlids, ect?

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all here is the result from the Molly's I recently added to my unmaintained QT. They destroyed the algae within two days!!!

Before on Saturday when they were added:
E7DA2858-04CA-4FF6-A3D2-382B97F944CA.png

Today (Monday) after 2 days:
2C4C184A-926E-42F7-A200-7E8F19FE17F1.jpeg

Any other FW fish that people have tried other than Molly's and guppy's. Has anyone tried plecos, angels, cichlids, ect?
How long does it take to acclimate them to 35ppt salinity do you think?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis is a known freshwater fish that can live in saltwater.

The species you're looking for are called euryhaline species. These are species that withstand a wide range of salinities (typically freshwater to 35 ppt, or full strength seawater).

Most fish are stenohaline. Individuals of the species cannot be acclimated from fresh to salt or salt to fresh.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends on who you are, and how old the fish are. Typically, anecdotes say that molly fry and juveniles can quickly acclimate to saltwater while adults have a harder time acclimating. A 4-7 day acclimation period (while monitoring ammonia and other waste products!) should suffice for most mollies. However, I've also tossed mollies from fresh to salt and salt to fresh without seeing significant mortalities.

OP
OP
R

Royalreef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aclimated mine for about 15 hours. Started eating the algea after about an hour. They tried to eat mysis but liked pellets the best in my case

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For predominantly freshwater fish, any fish that lives in naturally hard water (8.0 pH, high carbonates, etc.) will be a better candidate to check if they're euryhaline.

So no, neon tetras, angels, and other soft water species will most likely not be able to adapt to saltwater.

To the best of my knowledge, the only known cichlids that can stand brackish (unsure if full salt tolerant), are the chromides of asia.

As for plecos: there are reports of plecos living in brackish water from those that have established a population in florida. However, I do not know the salinity to which they are tolerant. It could be like with java ferns, where they can withstand up to 1.005 SG but perish afterwards.

OP
OP
R

Royalreef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For predominantly freshwater fish, any fish that lives in naturally hard water (8.0 pH, high carbonates, etc.) will be a better candidate to check if they're euryhaline.

So no, neon tetras, angels, and other soft water species will most likely not be able to adapt to saltwater.

To the best of my knowledge, the only known cichlids that can stand brackish (unsure if full salt tolerant), are the chromides of asia.

As for plecos: there are reports of plecos living in brackish water from those that have established a population in florida. However, I do not know the salinity to which they are tolerant. It could be like with java ferns, where they can withstand up to 1.005 SG but perish afterwards.
So no mainstream FW fish can go in salt :(

OP
OP
R

Royalreef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a Green Spotted Puffer (Dichotomyctere nigroviridis) from Freshwater to Marine before. Without a doubt one of my fav fishes from past tanks. They really are brackish fish sold as freshwater alot.
Will look them up! Do u know if they were reef safe?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I have both and want a to combine them
@BullyBee , you have a brackish convert.

Also, look up the salinity that plecos need to thrive. Aside from the one time I visited the Georgia Aquarium and the behind the scenes tour guide claimed that a yellow clown goby was a plecostomus, I’ve never heard of saltwater plecos. Have you thought of looking at clingfish instead? Specifically the stippled clingfish?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back