Any other tangs that can go with a yellow and powder blue

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Bthomas, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Bthomas

Bthomas Active Member

Still trying to figure out the stock list for my 6ft 150 gallon. I know i want a yellow tang and a powder blue. I would like to add one more tang but I don't really care much for the kole tang, just too bland as far as coloration i think.
    I wanted a naso but I don't want something that will outgrow the tank
    Any other options for a colorful tang?

Hulley likes this.
    Tags:

2. Hulley

Hulley Member

I think a Purple would go great. I had a Yellow and Purple before and loved them, the PBT is on the "list" as well.

Zack K likes this.
  3. LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide Active Member Build Thread Contributor

The most important part is to get different Genus. For example it wouldn't be ideal to add a purple tang with the yellow. I really like the yellow eye Kole myself. Not interested in any of the Bristle tooth tangs?

tdileo and Instigate like this.
  4. Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

One of my personal favorites and should get along with the other species. More vivid reddish than the Kole:

White Tail Bristletooth

[​IMG]

DSmithZ28, LDH, Tobbe and 1 other person like this.
  5. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Well-Known Member

Powder Blues can be pretty aggressive, especially to other Tangs and they are one of the most delicate of the species. Personally I would ditch it, stick with the Yellow and then go with an Atlantic Blue Tang and/or one of the Bristletooth varieties mentioned. Purples are also notoriously aggressive (and spendy).

6. LagunaGlide

While the family thing isn't like a set in stone rule it's a decent way to keep aggression down. I agree with Jester on the Powder and their delicacy. I really love the powder brown, but not sure it's worth the risk.

You should be looking in the Ctenoch family which is bristles. If not a fan of the ones listed thus far maybe you like the chevron. Cool colors as Juvi and interesting pattern as an adult.

If I didn't have 3 tangs already I would definitely have a bristle of some sort.

7. Bthomas

Bthomas Active Member

The powder blues are one of my favorite fish. I was scared to try it at first too but with it being my favorite i def want to give it a try. It'll be the last in of the tangs.
    I'm really not a fan of the bristles but if there arnt any other options i may give them another look.
    I do like the juvi color of the chevrons but not so much the adult coloration..

LagunaGlide likes this.
  8. LagunaGlide

Ya the adult color isn't nearly as pretty, but it's interesting. Kind of psychedelic

9. Bthomas

Bthomas Active Member

Or any other tang sized fish that you would recommend for that size tank. Already planning on a foxface and blue throat trigger but wanted one more largish fish

Zack K and LagunaGlide like this.
  10. LagunaGlide

Maybe someone else can chime in as well. Great minds think alike. I plan to add a Blue Throat and maybe a fox in mine eventually as well. You could try your hand at some of the "reef safe-ish" angels. THe Regal, Majestic, and flame come to mind. The most reef safe one is not all that colorful

Zack K likes this.
  11. LagunaGlide

Scratch the Majestic. Sorry tank may not be big enough for that one.

12. Zack K

Zack K The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Butterfly fish for your criteria. Large, peaceful, and tons of Color. Other wise blue Tang, Mimic tang, Koi Tang, or my favorite Black Tang.

-Zack

eatbreakfast and LagunaGlide like this.
  13. Bthomas

Bthomas Active Member

Butterflys need lots of pods to survive tho right?

Zack K likes this.
  14. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor R2R TV Featured

I would steer clear of any in the Naso genus, either of the Sailfins, or the hippo. If you are set on the PB, then no other Acanthurus genus is wise. I've kept multiple zebrasomas together, so a yellow together with a purple or scopas is doable. Just be prepared for some fighting. If you don't add them at the same time, an acclimation box is advised.

LagunaGlide likes this.
  15. Zack K

Zack K The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Not true. I currently have kept 12 species of butterflies and they can be tricky to get eating, but most of the time live foods gets their interest, so you can move to frozen. Just have to watch though as some eat coral, and others may munch on inverts. All Butterflies_Will_eat worms. Ex. Spaghetti Worms, Feather dusters etc.

-Zack

eatbreakfast likes this.
  16. Bthomas

Bthomas Active Member

Are there some that are easier then others to get eating frozen?

Zack K likes this.
  17. Zack K

All of them, with a little enticing, will eat frozen in my findings. Usually I have had the most success with the Longnose Butterfly eating frozen right away, where as my Saddleback and CopperBand took a lot longer to wean off of Live Blackworms and Clams.

-Zack

18. Jesterrace

If you weren't putting in a devilfish (Trigger) I would recommend looking at butterflyfish. I am in somewhat of the same boat as you right now. I kind of want a tang but the ones that will fit in my tank are pretty boring except for the White Tail (and it is prohibitively expensive). I am also a little wary of Tang Aggression. On the other hand I can get a Klein's/Orange Butterflyfish that has more color and is peaceful and costs a whopping $25-$30 to boot. Triggers are kind of cool looking but don't play nice with others. Just me personally but I would stick with Peaceful or Semi-Aggressive fish because it will save you some hassle and not limit your options quite so much.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  19. Bthomas

Bthomas Active Member

The blue throat is a pretty peaceful trigger from what I've heard

eatbreakfast and Zack K like this.
  20. Jesterrace

Relatively speaking of course. It is listed as Semi-Aggressive rather than Aggressive

Draft saved Draft deleted