Any PAR or PUR measurements from wild corals

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had luck finding any. Does anyone know if PAR and or PUR has ever been taken on coral out in the wild? Would be awesome to know preferred spectrum for coral based on wild locations. So how much blue for deeper water species. Stuff like that. What does in shaded spots of the reef actually mean. Would save the guessing game hobiests play.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had luck finding any. Does anyone know if PAR and or PUR has ever been taken on coral out in the wild? Would be awesome to know preferred spectrum for coral based on wild locations. So how much blue for deeper water species. Stuff like that. What does in shaded spots of the reef actually mean. Would save the guessing game hobiests play.
Yup.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And another, pretty technical though.

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup.
This fantastic information. Thank you for this experiment and write up!

I know this presents tremendous logistical difficulty, but has any similar information been collected at deeper reefs. Or any calculations for the spectrum stripping effect of water. What we are told is that red and green spectrum is quickly eaten up by water depth. Any way to guess what spectrum values would be at various depths?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectral Data for Oceanic Type I water (the 'clearest blue' ocean water.) Data from Jerlov.

Jerlov.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I saw this title, I immediately thought of Dana’s articles he had written about PAR measurements in Hawaii. I recall there being really low PAR on cloudy days and it made me rethink my lighting.

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great stuff. Could program lighting to ramp up as well as change spectrum. Also makes a case for running more blues dependant upon what type of coral you keep. Match this with collection depth of said coral and your set!

Thank you so much for the information, study and the help tracking it down.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light transmission for the worst ocean water (Coastal Type 9). This water is filled with algae and particles from terrestrial runoff. Barely visible on the chart is light transmitted at 10 meters.

Type 9.jpg

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wonder when i see videos/documentaries about reefs on TV and internet the underwater ambient color i see is really green, not really pure blue we light our tanks.
The charts above do prove this.

OP
OP
BrandonS

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the new radions coming out this got me thinking what we actually want our light to be for coral. What better standard then nature.

U

User1

View Badges
I've seen a rather large brain coral grown in a F-4U Corsair wreck at 114 feet in Hawaii...clearly it was getting something. Also a lot of other stone type corals around the external body of the wreck, engine, etc. Nothing else around but sand and garden eels that I could see - vis was about 100 feet that day.

Anyway glad Dana provided data. I was going to say search for posts by him because there are a few along with threads on the topic.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the new radions coming out this got me thinking what we actually want our light to be for coral. What better standard then nature.
I mean, if your current spectrum is growing corals and you like the color who cares what silly nature is doing you do you bro. I for one won't be switching to blue green and red yellow light even if my corals double in size daily lol

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree to a certain extent. My favorite tidepool in Hawaii was filled with beautiful stony corals but their growth was stunted by excessive light and ultraviolet radiation. Fortunately, UV in an aquarium isn't an issue with LEDs and properly shielded metal halide lamps. Intensity, however, is still an issue. But, yes, nature is a standard, we just have to know what to mimic.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back