Any phosphate reducers that don't strip out phosphate totally...?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any phosphate reducing type medias that don't strip out phosphate from the water totally...?

There was a product (maybe by Vertex?), years ago (5?) on the BRS website that stated in brought phosphate down to .02 - but no further.

I don't see it there anymore (Vertex went out of business awhile ago if that was the company).

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any phosphate reducing type medias that don't strip out phosphate from the water totally...?

There was a product (maybe by Vertex?), years ago (5?) on the BRS website that stated in brought phosphate down to .02 - but no further.

I don't see it there anymore (Vertex went out of business awhile ago if that was the company).
GFO won’t strip out phosphate if you use just a small amount.

For example, Phosban has a capacity of about 3 mg PO4 per gram of Phosban. You can easily estimate how much GFO to use to tweak your phosphate concentration. I do it all the time.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't strip it out, they just get to equilibrium with the water. Kind of like how ice eventually becomes the same temperature as the drink it is put in, while also cooling the drink.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not aware of any self limiting binders for reefers, despite having seen some claims in the past. It would not be impossible to design one, but I don't believe it has been done.

But I agree all can be limited by how much you use.

W0terMoist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest to use some GFO and keep an eye on the phos levels, but other beat me to the punch.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use bacteria, like MB7, for this purpose.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, you could make a GFO that was partially saturated by soaking it in water with phosphates at .02 ppm until it reached steady state at .02 or wherever you wanted it. I'd buy it!!! Then, you could just load up a massive reactor and not worry about it.

Back