Any reason not to add fish to new tank?

ReeftankBill13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First: I have been reading the discussion boards of this awesome forum for a few months now and just recently decided I should be adding to the great community here. Looking forward to paying it forward!

Long story short: I am a long time aquarist doing my first saltwater tank (35G). I spent a few months voraciously reading these discussion boards to have a very regimented plan for the new tank. My tank has been cycling for about 2.5 weeks with live sand, dry rock and filtration that includes chemi-pure elite and seachem as well as added a bottle of bio-spira and sprinkled in a little food to get the process moving. All my tests are telling me systems are a go (PH is good, nitrites and ammonia are both 0, nitrates are somewhere between 5-10, salinity and temp all stable) - is there any reason I shouldn’t introduce a hardy fish or two? Thinking a pair of clownfish.

I know striking a balance between patience and excitement is always tough and want to make sure I do this right. Would love any advice on if you think I can intro new fish or if I should wait longer and if so, how long?

mysaltwatertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First: I have been reading the discussion boards of this awesome forum for a few months now and just recently decided I should be adding to the great community here. Looking forward to paying it forward!

Long story short: I am a long time aquarist doing my first saltwater tank (35G). I spent a few months voraciously reading these discussion boards to have a very regimented plan for the new tank. My tank has been cycling for about 2.5 weeks with live sand, dry rock and filtration that includes chemi-pure elite and seachem as well as added a bottle of bio-spira and sprinkled in a little food to get the process moving. All my tests are telling me systems are a go (PH is good, nitrites and ammonia are both 0, nitrates are somewhere between 5-10, salinity and temp all stable) - is there any reason I shouldn’t introduce a hardy fish or two? Thinking a pair of clownfish.

I know striking a balance between patience and excitement is always tough and want to make sure I do this right. Would love any advice on if you think I can intro new fish or if I should wait longer and if so, how long?
Sounds like fun! Watch ammonia once you have added them, but sounds like you are ready!

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after cycle , add more fish but watch your size to livestock % and make sure you add fish in a way that the most aggressive gets added last. also remember that they grow so keep that in mind with your size tank.

mysaltwatertank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also wait a week or two before adding your next fish after the clowns, which is the hardest part when you start adding fish
Test water, and make sure the tank doesnt spike with the extra nutrients going in the tank after few days.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back