Any Recommendations For Chaeto Eating Fish/Inverts

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,
I am about to make an almost complete DIY algae reactor, and would like to put chaeto algae in there, however I have heard of the quick growth rate this algae has and would like to put that to good use. After my reactor is filled, and it is time to trim the chaeto back, is there a fish of some kind that I could feed it too?
Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about critters but I know my herb garden sure appreciates the extra nitrates, specially the basil. Cue "IT'S THE CIRCLE OF LIFE" song

OP
OP
Noah's Shark

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted. Thank you very much. Just curious, how/where do you grow your Chaeto? Do you keep any kind of pods in it?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g biocube and grow it in the middle chamber. There are tons of pods in it but none that I added just hitchhikers.

This is about 10 days worth, 8in container

20200314_234056.jpg

Noted. Thank you very much. Just curious, how/where do you grow your Chaeto? Do you keep any kind of pods in it?

OP
OP
Noah's Shark

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. So it definitely lives up to it's reputation as a quick grower. I bet you have some very happy Basil plants. Also, considering you only have hitch-hiker pods, I find your name very appropriate.

OP
OP
Noah's Shark

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else have suggestions on chaeto eating fish? A basil plant or two I'm sure can only take so much and my reactor is going to be rather large.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. So it definitely lives up to it's reputation as a quick grower. I bet you have some very happy Basil plants. Also, considering you only have hitch-hiker pods, I find your name very appropriate.
It all depends on bioload lighting and feeding. I also dose iron as cheato depletes it specially if it's growing fast.

Currently waiting on spring to finally start so I can start adding my cheato to a Carolina reaper I have growing. Hoping it will help it as it did the various herbs.

OP
OP
Noah's Shark

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently waiting on spring to finally start so I can start adding my cheato to a Carolina reaper I have growing. Hoping it will help it as it did the various herbs.
I hadn't thought of expanding the "feeding" of the chaeto to other plants. I'm sure I could supplement plants in my garden with the excess.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't thought of expanding the "feeding" of the chaeto to other plants. I'm sure I could supplement plants in my garden with the excess.
You can pretty much add it to anything as it's just a decaying plant which would release nitrates, phosphates, co2, and everything else you'd expect. Most people just toss it, to me it's free fertilizer.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again cue "It's the circle of life" song.

Don't give up though there are many other uses for it, I know some fish eat it but you'll have to wait for more experienced members to answer that one. I've also read of people blending it and using it as a pho-phytoplankton feed to the tank.

OP
OP
Noah's Shark

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so basically I'm eating my fishes poop?
Ahhhhh too far, too far!
I will definitely keep my eyes and ears open for more information regarding organisms that eat the plant rather than use it after decomposition. Thank you very much for your help in this.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhhh too far, too far!
I will definitely keep my eyes and ears open for more information regarding organisms that eat the plant rather than use it after decomposition. Thank you very much for your help in this.
LOL oh come on everything we eat is grown with some sort of poop, wait till you find out about night soil. And remember even if you did a fish that will eat it you'll only be getting rid of a very small amount(thing grams per day) so you'll have a ton left over for other fun stuff. I guess you can dry it out and use it for tinder too.

OP
OP
Noah's Shark

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL oh come on everything we eat is grown with some sort of poop, wait till you find out about night soil. And remember even if you did a fish that will eat it you'll only be getting rid of a very small amount(thing grams per day) so you'll have a ton left over for other fun stuff. I guess you can dry it out and use it for tinder too.
I think you were a frontiersmen in a past life. Perhaps a Boy Scout in this one? I have thought of how little the fish would eat per day, but hey, its free fish food nonetheless.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you were a frontiersmen in a past life. Perhaps a Boy Scout in this one? I have thought of how little the fish would eat per day, but hey, its free fish food nonetheless.
I do enjoy camping and self-reliance so you might be right. Now if I could only turn cheato into tp I'd be a millionaire. Continue your search, I'm also quiet curious what other do with their cheato.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a foxface I grew caulerpa and he loved it. Always put my excess in the tank with him and he would eat it all. Chaeto I am not totally sure. I know I have had tangs pick at it before but not really eat it. Or if they did it was an extremely small amount.

I've used excess as garden fertilizer too. I have quite a large garden area though so I never have enough for my needs in that context alone. Curious if anyone else has extra uses for it though!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back