Any Recommendations For Chaeto Eating Fish/Inverts

R0C95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought some display tank dragons breath today. Rubber banded it nicely to a frag rock, set it in my tank. Within 1 minute, my emerald crab Godzilla'd that **** and had picked up the chaeto, and frag rock and was eating it.

Moral? Maybe an emerald crab will eat your chaeto like mine apparently does?

OP
OP
Noah's Shark

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought some display tank dragons breath today. Rubber banded it nicely to a frag rock, set it in my tank. Within 1 minute, my emerald crab Godzilla'd that **** and had picked up the chaeto, and frag rock and was eating it.

Moral? Maybe an emerald crab will eat your chaeto like mine apparently does?
There's no downside to trying it. I could use another emerald crab or two.

R0C95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no downside to trying it. I could use another emerald crab or two.
It's hilarious. I have mostly higher end lps in my tank, and super colorful fish that my 4 yo daughter picked out (it's her tank), yet the WHOLE family just finds themselves looking for that dumb spider legged emerald crab. Hes literally the star of that tank. What a personality!

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want something that absolutely mauls chaeto, get a long spine urchin. My urchin is about 10” diameter, and he has eaten at least his own body size out of that chaeto ball in the last few days. I don’t expect it will be much longer until the entire 20” ball of chaeto is gone. He likes to hang upside down and eat it from the bottom up.
81ADFEE8-3B1F-41CF-BB3C-2BD8B828E284.jpeg

OP
OP
Noah's Shark

Noah's Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hilarious. I have mostly higher end lps in my tank, and super colorful fish that my 4 yo daughter picked out (it's her tank), yet the WHOLE family just finds themselves looking for that dumb spider legged emerald crab. Hes literally the star of that tank. What a personality!
Funny how that happens isn't it?
If you want something that absolutely mauls chaeto, get a long spine urchin. My urchin is about 10” diameter, and he has eaten at least his own body size out of that chaeto ball in the last few days. I don’t expect it will be much longer until the entire 20” ball of chaeto is gone. He likes to hang upside down and eat it from the bottom up.
81ADFEE8-3B1F-41CF-BB3C-2BD8B828E284.jpeg
Yes! Thank you! I will definitely look into this further.

Picasso the Triggerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is one invert that looks like an algae black hole, it must be the Blue Tuxedo Urchin, if you have a tank of 50 G or more and you want to get rid of algae or get rid of trimmed algae but don't want to get stinged by the LSU, the BTU is your guy, but they have downsides, they also eat coralline algae and grab small rocks and some corals that aren´t well secured to rocks and walks with them (BTU uses this to cover from strong ligth)
BTU.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back