Any Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 owners?

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone own a Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900? What are your thoughts of it? They look really good.

apcoleman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy with mine. Its heavy. Really heavy and make sure you have enough people to move it. Tank comes packaged on top of the stand for shipping so plan for two lifts.

OP
OP
Clownfish2

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy with mine. Its heavy. Really heavy and make sure you have enough people to move it. Tank comes packaged on top of the stand for shipping so plan for two lifts.

Is it possible to remove the sump from the cabinet and relocate it to a fish room? I would like to do maintenance in the fish room/garage and not in the family room.

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from the UK. When watching the Red Sea Youtube they put the stand together. Enquired about this tank today and was told that I had to build cabinet on arrival. With the right pipework you could reroute wherever you wanted.

Last edited:

apcoleman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to remove the sump from the cabinet and relocate it to a fish room? I would like to do maintenance in the fish room/garage and not in the family room.
You very well could. If that is your plan I would be looking at a different tank because it almost defeats the point of purchasing a red sea. But that is just my opinion. It is a gorgeous display.

Mountain Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone own a Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900? What are your thoughts of it? They look really good.
Very happy with mine also. Initially planned on redoing plumbing overflow and return , but everything works so well, just changed out one return plumbing to allow for UV.
As others have already said. Very heavy. And part of stand packed under tank so will need help lifting to get parts, to complete stand and then need help lifting onto stand.
Cover for overflow warped within a month, but contacted Red Sea and they sent a new one.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one yesterday. Cant wait but it looks like January delivery date. That's a good thing being it gives me plenty of planning time. I already have a 250 and am impressed with Red Sea quality.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy with mine also. Initially planned on redoing plumbing overflow and return , but everything works so well, just changed out one return plumbing to allow for UV.
Mind telling us how you did this and what all you needed? :)
I am very interested in the UV install also. Thinking of changing mine. If you have some pics that would be great. Thanks

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how this compares with the new REEFER-S. The specs look really similar. The S isn’t quite as long, but is 180g DT volume compared to the 190g of 3XL

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how this compares with the new REEFER-S. The specs look really similar. The S isn’t quite as long, but is 180g DT volume compared to the 190g of 3XL

Actually there are 2 versions of the new S...

One is 72" and the other is 84".

The 900 3XL is 79".

Last edited:

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the Reefer 3xl 900. It is 79" vs 82.7. Other diminsions are the same. The S tanks have a lip around the front and sides like the RS Max 250, the 900 is totally rimless. Sump appears the same. I don't see the sliding panel on the 900 like the S 1000. That is about all I saw different. Price too of course

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the Reefer 3xl 900. It is 79" vs 82.7. Other diminsions are the same. The S tanks have a lip around the front and sides like the RS Max 250, the 900 is totally rimless. Sump appears the same. I don't see the sliding panel on the 900 like the S 1000. That is about all I saw different. Price too of course
The S has the new aluminum cabinet frame - where the 3XL 900 has the older version plywood cabinet.

The S is also 1" wider.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy it from the LFS if possible. They will have expertise and give you a better experience than any drop freight will provide.
Plus they may be more willing to negotiate on the price...

Although these don't have a very high profit margin (25%).

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 55.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back