Any regrets having pistol shrimp/goby pair?

van7271

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No regret at all. They are so much fun to watch. Every day they are making a new home in a new place.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my yasha pair and candy cane pistol shrimp. They never move any of my frags. FF5A2F0E-72F2-4652-A082-ACD52FC2769A.jpeg

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A summary of my experiences of this

Sincerely Lasse

That first video it looks like you have almost no flow. I have been struggling with how to set up my 4k icecaps and would love advice. I have been searching around d but maybe it is time to start a thread on the subject.

I have two small red head gobies that have not found their tiger pistol shrimp yet. They live on the rocks right now.

I will try to remember to get a video of the dart fish doing their thing later this week.

mellgibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a pistol shrimp now for about 5 days and I just added a lawnmower blenny, I think it’s a match. But I’m still in the market for a goby.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That first video it looks like you have almost no flow. I have been struggling with how to set up my 4k icecaps and would love advice. I have been searching around d but maybe it is time to start a thread on the subject.

I have two small red head gobies that have not found their tiger pistol shrimp yet. They live on the rocks right now.

I will try to remember to get a video of the dart fish doing their thing later this week.
Yes - it was a Red Sea MAX of the first modells back in 2007. Not much flow.

I´m not sure that your gobies will pair with a shrimp - have never heard that. See here for description and here

Sincerely Lasse

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only regret with a pistol and goby, they setup a "home" within a cave in my rockwork. Other then hearing the pistol every morning snapping, I never see either one.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like having my gobies paired up because the snapping tends to horrify me at times - I often feel like it’s caught something that isn’t supposed to be food. I also find my yasha goby to have enough personality without the pistol - I mean, mine has managed to burrow without a shrimp so, I would say the shrimp part is useless.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received pistol shrimp and goby on Friday, shrimp went straight to work in building/ burrowing, goby was more timid and has been staying close to everything and only moving when something is close.. only millimeters though, today I found goby in cave that pistol shrimp has moved to (kicked out cleaner shrimp). Goby still scared of snails and very timid, I'll see how this works
(I will add that I think my hermit snipped off high fin off goby as it was there upon introduction to aquriam, goby hid next to my big hermit and had no fin once it came out onto sand bed) :(

Could you explain more about the sound/The click you here from your pistol shrimps, I have heard loud click... Sounds like thermostat turning off or on but louder, I assume this is a good sound to hear

Attachments

• VID20211026161534.mp4
    18.1 MB
  • VID20211023131529.mp4
    33 MB

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received pistol shrimp and goby on Friday, shrimp went straight to work in building/ burrowing, goby was more timid and has been staying close to everything and only moving when something is close.. only millimeters though, today I found goby in cave that pistol shrimp has moved to (kicked out cleaner shrimp). Goby still scared of snails and very timid, I'll see how this works
(I will add that I think my hermit snipped off high fin off goby as it was there upon introduction to aquriam, goby hid next to my big hermit and had no fin once it came out onto sand bed) :(

Could you explain more about the sound/The click you here from your pistol shrimps, I have heard loud click... Sounds like thermostat turning off or on but louder, I assume this is a good sound to hear
The firefish tried moving in. He didn't like that.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Without the highfin I don’t think the goby will truly pair with the shrimp - Although don’t worry, the highfin will grow back! The main reason I doubt that you will have a true pairing in the first month or two whilst the highfin grows back is because the shrimp uses the highfin as a way to stay in contact with the goby (One antenna will almost always be in contact with the fin).
It could pair though and just stay in contact with the goby in another way (Wether that being by having one antenna on the side of the goby or on the dorsal fin of the goby).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will for sure hear the noise - It’s a loud snap (one of the other reasons I don’t like the sound as much). Another way of describing it would be clicking (Not a light switch but where you put three fingers together and make a click) except probably 3 times as loud depending on how loud you can click.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure what you mean @jasonrusso , thanks. (this article is about pistol shrimps and pairing )
Just responding to your question with a video of the shrimp clicking his claw.

I know it's about pairing, you asked about the sound.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the shrimp uses the highfin as a way to stay in contact with the goby (One antenna will almost always be in contact with the fin).
Really - as I know it - it is only a few of the known shrimp gobies that have a prolonged first dorsal fin ray. Have you any documentation on that statement?

sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back