Any saltwater books or encyclopedia recommended for newbie ? :)

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there !
I am looking for a saltwater book that would help me get the maximum info about inverts, fish, and corals. Im really into reading and even though i like how internet is easy to consult , i would like to have a book with easy -to-consult infos about parameters/ habits/ preferances/ compatibility and complex care for corals and anemones. I hate to have to screenshot the info i'll want later . I must have over 1000 screenshot pages about saltwater reef tanks and maintance haha. I prefer writing it down but ...theres so much to write about when it comes to sw stuff that i quit the little journal thing i was doing and am now looking for one or more good books to invest in. :) thanks in advance for any suggestions ! :)

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B's, @Dana Riddle's, John Tullock's, Bob Fenner's, Eric Borneman's, ....

Actaully, everything you can lay your hands on IMO.

Here's my thread:
How long is your aquarium book collection?
Thanks ! I've been eyeing this one since i have a nano reef tank 10 gal.
The second is also very very interesting ...little bit more expensive though. I think ill have to buy a couple haha . My local library doesnt have any sw books to rent haha im so sad.

Screenshot_2018-07-09-11-52-13.png

Screenshot_2018-07-08-22-44-23.png

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-to-Know Aquarium Species (Pocketexpert Guide Series)
by Scott W. Michael, Janine Cairns-Michael (Photographer)

When I was first getting started and familiarizing myself with as many fish as possible there was no better book. In fact, my neighbor referred to it as the fish bible.

I've seen it on amazon!:) i like the fact that it contains sooooo many species... i may have to buy it haha

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an encyclopedia in the usual sense but Tidal Gardens has a fantastic YouTube channel that goes pretty in depth with coral care and propagation.

And I think this was already mentioned but Aquarium Corals: Selection,Husbandry,and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman is a must have

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an encyclopedia in the usual sense but Tidal Gardens has a fantastic YouTube channel that goes pretty in depth with coral care and propagation.

And I think this was already mentioned but Aquarium Corals: Selection,Husbandry,and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman is a must have

Im pretty sure to buy that book...too many good reviews about it til now to pass this book .... i was checking in case ita already too much dated... thats the only bad review i read. (from amazon .ca customers)

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure to buy that book...too many good reviews about it til now to pass this book .... i was checking in case ita already too much dated... thats the only bad review i read. (from amazon .ca customers)

With any book no matter how recently it was published you will find some inconsistencies with the information especially if it relates to taxonomy. For the most part, the exact species names won't be a big deal (I've found several mis-IDed or outdated names on almost all the major E-tail sites). The thing that matters most about these is their information on coral care which will stand the test of time (until some crazy new breakthrough is made, which I'm sure all of us will hear about)

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen it on amazon!:) i like the fact that it contains sooooo many species... i may have to buy it haha
It definitely has a lot of the more commonly seen/available species, you may have to dig a bit deeper to find more info about less commonly seen species but before I had a smart phone that book was always in my back pocket when I went looking for a new fish. I think I saw the book used online some where for $1.99

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With any book no matter how recently it was published you will find some inconsistencies with the information especially if it relates to taxonomy. For the most part, the exact species names won't be a big deal (I've found several mis-IDed or outdated names on almost all the major E-tail sites). The thing that matters most about these is their information on coral care which will stand the test of time (until some crazy new breakthrough is made, which I'm sure all of us will hear about)
Thanks! :D It's what matters after all...if the parameters preferences and basic infos remain constant and true over time its whats important ;) !!

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely has a lot of the more commonly seen/available species, you may have to dig a bit deeper to find more info about less commonly seen species but before I had a smart phone that book was always in my back pocket when I went looking for a new fish. I think I saw the book used online some where for $1.99

Thanks i'll go check :) ! I love to have handy books

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a tank yet, what level of experience do you have?
I have two 10 gallons reef tanks that have been cycled a year ago. The first 10 gallons holds a single black and white clownfish . The secondth 10 gallons holds an ocellaris mated couple + orange lip conch ☺

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of books that I bought over the years. I learned a little from some of them, but there is precious little in them that you can't find on the internet. I can honestly say that identifying things we see when we go snorkeling has been helped by a series of Reef Fish, Reef Coral and Reef Creatures (all 'of the Bahamas and Caribbean'). But all the books I have related to the aquarium, how to maintain them and the critters that live in them have generally been much less useful. I couldn't tell you the last time I opened one to find an answer rather than just find it on my computer. I offered the entire collection (over 15 books, mostly hard cover) up for sale to my local club and on Craigslist at a crazy low price and didn't get a single response.

If anybody wants mine, let me know. I'll send you a list and you can make me an offer. You pay the shipping.

TexasReeferUSA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's an old thread. But I don't remember seeing anybody mentioning the series of books by Julian Sprung called "Reef Aquarium" volumes 1 2 and 3.

Basically Bibles for reef/saltwater aquarium an absolute must haves.

Oldies but extremely informative.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with @TexasReeferUSA absolutely nothing beats the "Reef Aquarium Vol 1" by Sprung. They came out so long ago that I think I've owned my copy since before the year 2000 (pre LEDs in tanks LOL)... They are still the best guidebooks out there without a doubt.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saltwater specific, but still occasionally open The Encyclopedia of Aquarium & Pond Fish. The aquarium setup pages are a little outdated, but are still good starting points. But disease identification and treatments and fish descriptions are still valid. Some of the fish listed are no longer commonly seen in the hobby and some that are, are not listed.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with @TexasReeferUSA absolutely nothing beats the "Reef Aquarium Vol 1" by Sprung. They came out so long ago that I think I've owned my copy since before the year 2000 (pre LEDs in tanks LOL)... They are still the best guidebooks out there without a doubt.

While I agree that it's excellent, I think it's hard to call a three-volume, 1500+ page tome a "guidebook". ;)

Just to point it out, Sprung has a series of actual guidebooks:
Corals: A Quick Reference Guide
By Julian Sprung
A comprehensive field guide for aquarists, divers and naturalists. Nearly 700 beautiful photos with descriptions, range, and the correct pronunciation of the scientific names. Helpful charts offer information about food, light, and water motion requirements, aggressiveness, hardiness and proper positioning in the aquarium. 240 pages, hardcover.

"The most practical and accurate reference in a single affordable volume".

Also available in German, French, Italian and Japanese.

Currently out of print

spacer.gif
1099432080.gif

rule.gif

Invertebrates: A Quick Reference Guide
By Julian Sprung
A NEW beautiful and comprehensive reference for aquarists, divers and naturalists, with more than 650 full color photographs identifying more than 500 species of marine invertebrates.This book is the essential guide for all aquarists who want to make the right choices when stocking an aquarium with invertebrates or purchasing invertebrates for a reef aquarium. 240 pages, hardcover. Also available in French and German.

spacer.gif
1099432114.gif

rule.gif

Algae: A Problem Solver Guide
By Julian Sprung
This book identifies algae that commonly bloom in aquariums, with photographs and descriptions of their life history. Specific recommendations offer ways to control the algae through aquarium husbandry practices and the use of herbivores. If your expensive aquarium has an out-of-control algae bloom that is driving you crazy, don’t give up! Buy this book and follow Julian’s advice. Also available in French, German and Italian.

spacer.gif
1099432144.gif

rule.gif

So many good books out there....just not too many current ones so you have to know not to look for "new" first.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back