Any Seattle-area reefers willing to part with some live rock?

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings! I'm setting up a new tank and would like to seed it with some quality live rock from an existing system. Any leads?

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could give you a rock but you would get all the pests with it. Some Gha bubble algee and possibly aptasia (I’ve only seen one and I tossed the rock but you never know). It’s likely you will get something similar from other refers to just know what you are getting into. Even if there is no active outbreak the spores for that stuff always tend to linger

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could give you a rock but you would get all the pests with it. Some Gha bubble algee and possibly aptasia (I’ve only seen one and I tossed the rock but you never know). It’s likely you will get something similar from other refers to just know what you are getting into. Even if there is no active outbreak the spores for that stuff always tend to linger
Hey @hotdrop - thanks for reaching out. You gave me good points to ponder

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @hotdrop - thanks for reaching out. You gave me good points to ponder
Any live rock will have a risk of pests. I got my (1) aptasia and bubble algee from a guy that had one of the nicest tasks I’ve ever seen. It was worth it for me and he did me a huge favor because that rock helped stabilize my tank after a really bad dinoflagellates outbreak, but may not be what you want to start with.
If you go that route keep the rock for 2-3 months and toss before any of the slightly slower growing stuff has a lot of time to mature and spread.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back