Any Stores in the Upstate of SC

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving to the spartanburg area this fall, I'm wondering if there are any good LFS in the area, or just people who have some stuff to sell. I'm sad to be moving away from my favorite LFS, bobs tropical fish, but happy to find some new ones.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving to the spartanburg area this fall, I'm wondering if there are any good LFS in the area, or just people who have some stuff to sell. I'm sad to be moving away from my favorite LFS, bobs tropical fish, but happy to find some new ones.

The only store I know of is Ocean's Floor. It's in Greenville near the Haywood mall. It's ok, but I tend to order just about everything online due to the prices and selection. They are getting better with the new owners, but its been a slow process. The only other ones I know of within an hour or so are in Columbia and Asheville.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, thats too bad, are there any people located up there that kinda just sell stuff from the garage?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Asheville and we have two decent lfs here. One better than the other for sure. Look up high tide aquarium in Asheville or reef and rainforest. There are a couple home sellers that I go to and they are super cheep and have great livestock, they are just hard to get a hold of sometimes. When Alan at high tide aquarium gets livestock in is definitely worth the drive but I would call him and speak with him before you make the trip.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thats great, I'm only 45 minutes away from high tide and 54 from reef and rainforest. As it is, I'm 28 away from my current LFS.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, thats too bad, are there any people located up there that kinda just sell stuff from the garage?

The only guy I know just sells coral. The name of the company is fraggin wagon. I purchased some stuff from him at a local frag swap, but he has been difficult to get a hold of after that.

I am in Asheville and we have two decent lfs here. One better than the other for sure. Look up high tide aquarium in Asheville or reef and rainforest. There are a couple home sellers that I go to and they are super cheep and have great livestock, they are just hard to get a hold of sometimes. When Alan at high tide aquarium gets livestock in is definitely worth the drive but I would call him and speak with him before you make the trip.

I was just up in Asheville and meant to stop by these places but totally forgot. Is high tide the store you prefer?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just make sure to call him to get an idea of what he has. He also has weird hours which I realize is pretty normal for summer months. He has one of the cleanest shops I have ever been in, kinda ocd about but that is a good thing. He will order just about anything you want if it’s available.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I'll certainly be headed up there. I move in around 10 days.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef and Rainforest - 6/10 - low stocking of fish, medium stocking of corals, decent prices, and good customer service land it at a five, but then they have a whole poison dart frog breeding setup, which is really cool to go check out.

High Tide - 3/10 - super low stocking of fish, very small stocking of corals, high prices, I doubt I'll be back.

I miss my 10/10 lfs, bobs, who had humungous stocking of fish and ordered in everything you wanted, about 7 tanks full of coral for sale, plus other small ones, amazing customer service too

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceans floor is my next stop, its a lot farther though, dang, I like the selection of online stores, but you lose the awesome discounts from any lfs that knows you plus you have to pay for shipping.

P.S. - I did move and I actually forgot a part of my filter (as well as other stuff) so I came back down here, headed back up soon. I lost the peppermint shrimp and lawnmower blenny during transit, that blenny was easily my favorite fish too.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must of caught HighTide in between orders, he is getting a med-large ORA order this week. Last couple weeks he had hardly anything. Feel bad for the recommendation and you where disappointed. I only live 5 miles away and I still call first cause it’s either feast or famine. My wife likes it better when he has hardly anything though cause I save a lot more money.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t stress it, I’m always happy to visit a fish store. I went to oceans floor yesterday, it’s an hour away but definitely worth it. I talked to a worker for over an hour about mangroves, mudskippers, and symbiotic relationships in a reef. I was only buying water too ha ha ha, I had an awesome time and will definitely return.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t stress it, I’m always happy to visit a fish store. I went to oceans floor yesterday, it’s an hour away but definitely worth it. I talked to a worker for over an hour about mangroves, mudskippers, and symbiotic relationships in a reef. I was only buying water too ha ha ha, I had an awesome time and will definitely return.

I'm glad you liked it. I have had the opposite experience many times in that store, so it sounds like maybe they finally got some good help! Hopefully, with the new setup, things will be much better than in the past.

ace1396

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using oceans floor here lately. They are pretty reasonable. There's also the pet tavern in anderson. He doesn't have a large selection in store but can order stuff to his store if you know what you want.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have really cool staff at Ocean's Floor, but they've been amping up fish prices like crazy (small clowns for $30 and emerald crabs for $9 is steep) and seem to have low fish quality. Be very careful when putting in fish from their tanks.

ace1396

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have really cool staff at Ocean's Floor, but they've been amping up fish prices like crazy (small clowns for $30 and emerald crabs for $9 is steep) and seem to have low fish quality. Be very careful when putting in fish from their tanks.
I have definitely seen some questionable fish in there. I've been getting frags from them to avoid shipping costs..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back