Any success keeping a Ribbon Eel?

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any success keeping a ribbon eel? I will never get one because of the difficulty, but there have to be some that are successful.

YOUNGBLOOD

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started that was the first fish introduced into my tank keeped him over 6 months.then gave him away to one of my buddies and till this day it still lives I say go for it....

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to keep it by itself or does it behave itself with other fish? Was it difficult getting him to eat?

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any pictures of your buddies eel? i once kept a snowflake eel in my reef tank for about 6months. it got giantic and gave it back to the LFS.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about blue ribbons? I've heard that for some reason they don't do well in captivity...

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the ribbons don't generally do well in captivity, very hard time to get them to eat initially. I think once you do they can be pretty hardy.

Heffe01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are escape masters....going through over flows...trying to climb into the lights etc. Mine made it out of a quarter inch hole and was found on the floor.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are escape masters....going through over flows...trying to climb into the lights etc. Mine made it out of a quarter inch hole and was found on the floor.
Wow that must have been a horrible site! i hate finding carpet surfers, eats me alive inside. Did he make it?

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryan, jonathan had one up at the store for months. It was the yellow and black. He sold it to a guy when he closed the store. It was in the 125 by the front door. The tank had other fish in it. Not sure if it would eat dead food but I saw it tear up feeder shrimp.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeder shrimp can get very expensive, something to keep in mind I think when considering this as an addition.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had many customer try it and they had no success..i havent heard of one living pass 3-4 months either. One customer said the best be did was get it to live 4 month and it only ate twice for him live guppies he put in the tank. Are you sure you are talking about the blue ribbon eel?

When I first started that was the first fish introduced into my tank keeped him over 6 months.then gave him away to one of my buddies and till this day it still lives I say go for it....

Alattner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone have any pictures of a blue ribbon eel in their tank i would be curious to see one in someones tank

slkotara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine ended up on the floor after 6mnths and all that work getting him to eat. I was so sad.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats hrrible! I'm sure you took precautions against that happening, how did it manage to slip out?

Diamondsinthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a long time. I must of had it for over 2 years. I have a local fishing shop that has live ghost shrimp and he would chow them down. I eventually got him eating frozen ghost shrimp but it took a long long time. I think you have to get lucky with them. I really think that this was an exception to the rule with these finicky eels. Liveaquaria.com is a great place to buy them from when they offer them. Most of there ribbon eels will already be eating live foods before they sell them. Good luck

Back