Any success stories with Dino’s going away on own?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is There any?. My situation is tank is 2years old I installed biopellet reactor 2 months ago to get nitrates down. Was at 30+ and now at 5-10 but as soon as it started reducing the Dino’s and I believe a mix of cyano appeared. Very small amount on rocks and small amount on sand. Ironically got worse when I increased flow. Anyhow still a small amount. Will this go away on own as the bacteria balances? That is my limited knowledge hope. I am doing weekly water changes But not sure if there is anything else I should do so not to get worse thanks any advice?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try as a simple fix a 3 day blackout, with increased flow to the affected areas.

Thats what I did when my S650 (650 litres with corals) was about a year old and when the lights came back on, the dino’s has gone and never came back I believe because of the increased flow.

It can depend on the strain, but it’s worth a try.

saltnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not read about Dino's going away on their own. Not saying it can not happen but I have not heard that. I have read that stopping WC helps reduce Dino's. Now that you also have cyano not sure stopping WC will work. Hopefully some who has had them together will make some suggestions what worked for them. Sorry I could not give any actual experience advice.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That steps that made the largest impact for me were adding biodiversity (Mature LR from my nano tank), UV and blackouts. Depends on the strain of dinos on how aggressive you may want to be. Keep carbon running to protect inverts and just know that sometimes its a 6 month battle and sometimes its over in a few weeks/days.

They will very much go away on their own as other algaes out compete. Sometimes a push helps quite a bit

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I often get so twisted in reading Dino threads. I seen due to no nutrients, high nutrients, and everything in between. So yes confused! so I lean towards balanced Bactria causes. Since I started the biopellet reactor that caused an increase the one kind of bacteria. Not getting into details here since I really don’t know. Lol. Hoping that needs to balance. Believe it or not I actually looks a lot less today so I am going to give it five it a little more time before anything. Let’s hope doesn’t get worse.

magikfly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had small cell Amphi and it went away on its own after it got taken over by cyano. After a month the cyano itself disappeared. So yes, sometimes it does go away on its own. I did, however, feed heavily

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed nitrates and Dino’s disappeared in just a few days.
1 bio pellets, the opioid of reefing dangerous stuff . I would stop .
2 I think your nitrates were lower then you thought. ( Dino’s )
3 cyano appears also suggests 0 nitrates. Getting the nitrates up will kill the Dino’s if you’re lucky . And then Chemiclean for the cyano. At that point I’d let the aquarium do it’s thing and hum along , without the bio pellets.
bio pellets can be done . By a man better then me .

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed nitrates and Dino’s disappeared in just a few days.
1 bio pellets, the opioid of reefing dangerous stuff . I would stop .
2 I think your nitrates were lower then you thought. ( Dino’s )
3 cyano appears also suggests 0 nitrates. Getting the nitrates up will kill the Dino’s if you’re lucky . And then Chemiclean for the cyano. At that point I’d let the aquarium do it’s thing and hum along , without the bio pellets.
bio pellets can be done . By a man better then me .
Thank you but I do know the nitrates were high as I did several ICP test but maybe you are saying by biopellets lowered more than I think now. However I do trust my sailfert nitrate test kit. But this is exactly what I mean done say lower and some say raise nitrate even in this thread. Lol. I will agree on that my phosphate has always been low to undetectable so I was dosing until it stabilized but reading today was zero and will test tomorrow

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I to trust icp and sailfert . These problems are tough. Maybe you should look at the Dino with a microscope it will certainly identify what your up against. I know there’s a type of Dino that is very difficult to get rid of . Good luck

kent78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had small cell Amphi and it went away on its own after it got taken over by cyano. After a month the cyano itself disappeared. So yes, sometimes it does go away on its own. I did, however, feed heavily
cyano is good competitors to DINOs if there aren't green hair algae and coraline algae!

mig.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them, and then copepod population grew and gobbled them up. Haven’t seen them back.

erythromycin kills cyano. I’ve used the API brand primary on my planted tanks and it does a great job. Does not seem to bother anything else. I have used some on my reef tank but I’m a little more cautious. The economic impact is a mistake is much greater. Petsmart sells it.

Hydrogen peroxide kills hair algae. I have poured that into my planted tanks and most things did fine, except cherry shrimp. Sorry cherry shrimp. Hair algae gone though so that was nice. Again I’d be cautious on a reef tank and dip instead

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back