Any suggestions for fish in a 125 gallon mixed reef tank?

2021 reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 ocellaris clownfish 1 powder brown tang 1 orange stripe kole tang 2 lyretail anthias 1 fire goby 1 sailfin blenny. Any suggestions for what to add? My powder brown tang is a bit aggressive. On hindsight I should have added the powder tang last but I knew close to nothing about fish when I added the powder tang.

bg2311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could add some gobies: Mandarin, Engineer, Dragon. All of ours hold their own with the damsels, clown fish and tang in our 125. Of note, the Engineers will eventually grow to a decent size. Very cool to watch, they almost look like eels. If you add a Mandarin, start out by dosing some pods until you've got a decent population for them. They will feed most of the day pecking at the rockwork for copepods.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,how about a foxface ?

OP
OP
2021 reefer

2021 reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could add some gobies: Mandarin, Engineer, Dragon. All of ours hold their own with the damsels, clown fish and tang in our 125. Of note, the Engineers will eventually grow to a decent size. Very cool to watch, they almost look like eels. If you add a Mandarin, start out by dosing some pods until you've got a decent population for them. They will feed most of the day pecking at the rockwork for copepods.
Thank you! But I don’t think I should add engineers because of my fire gobies and I’m not quite sure what a dragon is. Mandarin goby is probably one of the fish I’ll end up adding and I have a refugium and dosed copepods. At night I see a lot of copepods

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 125 and one of my favorite fish is my melanurus wrasse. They are beautiful and eat some tank pests, but your tank has to have a sand bed for them to sleep.
I also really like my Midas blenny for his personality. He is the first fish to come to the surface for food and will take it out of my fingers.

Since you already have pods I second the mandarin as well. Every tank that can support one should have one IMO.

bg2311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 125 and one of my favorite fish is my melanurus wrasse. They are beautiful and eat some tank pests, but your tank has to have a sand bed for them to sleep.
I also really like my Midas blenny for his personality. He is the first fish to come to the surface for food and will take it out of my fingers.

Since you already have pods I second the mandarin as well. Every tank that can support one should have one IMO.
We had a wrasse (definitely want a lid first. They are jumpers). We also have a Midas Blenny we got about a month ago. It is pretty and swims out in the open even when it's not feeding.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a wrasse (definitely want a lid first. They are jumpers). We also have a Midas Blenny we got about a month ago. It is pretty and swims out in the open even when it's not feeding.
When I first got my Midas he stayed in one spot on the rocks only darting out to get food. After he settled in he has become the fish that swims out in the open the most in my tank. Most of the other fish I have either hide or stay close to the rocks hunting food or eating algea. He has quickly became one of my favorite fish.
I always keep a screen cover on my tank so I never pay attention which fish are jumpers so I don't think to mention it to people.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your powder blue? Beautiful looking fish. I have heard they can be aggressive, depending how big and how long he has been in there you could easily add a few smaller-medium tangs. If you add 2 or 3 together (depending on size and end goals) this would dispurse the agression more evenly then adding one at a time. I have 5 smaller tangs in my 125gal tank and keep them well fed. They have there days and mostly the only agression is them just asserting there dominance, doing there little circle dances etc. My purple is the boss though lol and my blue is just a confused wierdo who some times doesnt know if he is a tang or a chomis

I have a odd size tank though so i could do a small aquascape in the middle so the tangs could swim around more freely instead of back and furth, they will also only be kept in there for the next 3-4 years depending on growth. Dont be fooled though tangs dont actually grow as quick as other fish do in my experience anyway and all my tangs have big fat nori bellies

Anyway happy reefing

Back