Any suggestions for large active colorful fish for 220G Fowlr that will not rock my my current fishes (list included)?

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have following large ones in 220G DT 8' long FOWLR with 60G SUMP and they are ALL SUPER FINE with each other and healthy ... no disease for last 1 year (as I did not put in anything new in last 1 year!)

1. Green bird wrasse
2. Red corris Wrasse
3. Harlequin Tusk
4. Blueface Anglefish
5. Lemonpeel dwarf angelfish
6. Picasso Triggerfish
7. Hippo Tang
8. Dimond Gobi
9. Ocelarris pair (male wyoming white and female mis-bar domino)
11. Saddleback angelfish (seen 4 ich and fluke outbreak with no issues)
12. Pinkface Wrasse
13. Bicolor Goatfish - love it ... can keep a few ... somehow only eats frozen food and does not grow at all

Was thinking of adding below fishes - ANY FEEDBACK FROM ANYONE WHO HAS HAD? HAS THESE? Any large active colorful fish that will not rock my my current fishes?
1. Two Bicolor goatfish
3. Large Juvi Asfur or Maculosus - any thoughts which one is more colorful, less-aggressive and not shy?
4. Large Juvi Annularis
5. White Tail Bristletooth Tang - how would it look in black tank backgound?
6. Large Juvi Queen Angelfish

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, the queen angel is spectacular and very active, BUT is likely going to be very aggressive. Check out the angels in the Apolemichthys genus, if you are willing to spend the money; the goldflake is a show stopper, or the flagfin which doesn't get much fanfare, but mine is awesome and active. These angles are relatively peaceful to other angels, whereas adding another angel from the Pomacanthus genus with an established blueface may be a risk. The annularis and maculosous can be 50/50 on how spectacular they turn out, I'm sure it has to do with overall tank health and diet, but I've seen many dull examples. Of course adding 2 more goatfish would be cool, but it really sounds like you want some pizazz. It doesn't look like you have any tangs, so adding a tang would be good, I like the bristletooth tangs, and the white tail is one you don;t see that often. The white tail and the Apolemichthys genus angels are known to be difficult, it almost always comes from internal parasites, so be prepared.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IME, the queen angel is spectacular and very active, BUT is likely going to be very aggressive. Check out the angels in the Apolemichthys genus, if you are willing to spend the money; the goldflake is a show stopper, or the flagfin which doesn't get much fanfare, but mine is awesome and active. These angles are relatively peaceful to other angels, whereas adding another angel from the Pomacanthus genus with an established blueface may be a risk. The annularis and maculosous can be 50/50 on how spectacular they turn out, I'm sure it has to do with overall tank health and diet, but I've seen many dull examples. Of course adding 2 more goatfish would be cool, but it really sounds like you want some pizazz. It doesn't look like you have any tangs, so adding a tang would be good, I like the bristletooth tangs, and the white tail is one you don;t see that often. The white tail and the Apolemichthys genus angels are known to be difficult, it almost always comes from internal parasites, so be prepared.

Thanks for quick response. I would prefer hardy (I am very short on time and do not want to risk instability) ... if the white tail and the Apolemichthys angel are disease prone then I would look for other options ... Yellow tang, floweri tang, orange shoulder,

any thoughts on Clown trigger - I have a 3 inch picasso model citizen ... should I consider adding clown that is smaller or larger than picasso? What about Niger?

I read Nigers are relatively less aggressive but my last Niger (before Picasso was terror for my pinkface, corris wrasse and greenbird ...

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have following large ones in 220G DT 8' long FOWLR with 60G SUMP and they are ALL SUPER FINE with each other and healthy ... no disease for last 1 year (as I did not put in anything new in last 1 year!)

1. Green bird wrasse
2. Red corris Wrasse
3. Harlequin Tusk
4. Blueface Anglefish
5. Lemonpeel dwarf angelfish
6. Picasso Triggerfish
7. Hippo Tang
8. Dimond Gobi
9. Ocelarris pair (male wyoming white and female mis-bar domino)
11. Saddleback angelfish (seen 4 ich and fluke outbreak with no issues)
12. Pinkface Wrasse
13. Bicolor Goatfish - love it ... can keep a few ... somehow only eats frozen food and does not grow at all

Was thinking of adding below fishes - ANY FEEDBACK FROM ANYONE WHO HAS HAD? HAS THESE? Any large active colorful fish that will not rock my my current fishes?
1. Two Bicolor goatfish
3. Large Juvi Asfur or Maculosus - any thoughts which one is more colorful, less-aggressive and not shy?
4. Large Juvi Annularis
Definitely go for a white tail bristletooth. I picked one up, pre-QTed from divers den, and it’s beautiful in my black-background tank. It’s very active and colorful, but not super personable; it tends to dart away when I walk up to the tank, but comes right back out once I stop moving.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Two Bicolor goatfish
4. Large Juvi Annularis

Not sure on the goatfish.

Asfur seem to be better looking. Not sure about keeping it with a blueface in a 220.

Again, not sure about mixing blue ring.

White tail tang is a great choice.

I wouldn't add the queen, for size and aggression reasons.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for quick response. I would prefer hardy (I am very short on time and do not want to risk instability) ... if the white tail and the Apolemichthys angel are disease prone then I would look for other options ... Yellow tang, floweri tang, orange shoulder,

any thoughts on Clown trigger - I have a 3 inch picasso model citizen ... should I consider adding clown that is smaller or larger than picasso? What about Niger?

I read Nigers are relatively less aggressive but my last Niger (before Picasso was terror for my pinkface, corris wrasse and greenbird ...

The orange shoulder tang is a dancer and very personable, I love mine. I like the floweri but think my 210g is too small, they do get rather large. Nigers are characters and a very cool addition, my last niger used to wrestle with my jeweled eel, the eel always won hahaha. Clown triggers are also great, and if added at a small size, can be a great tank mate. Alot of triggers like the ones you mentioned get their bad rep from mature fish direct from the ocean and kept in too small, too crowded tanks. But they are triggers at the end of the day. If you wanted the less risk of disrupting the harmony of your tank, of the ones you mentioned, I volt orange shoulder tang.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The orange shoulder tang is a dancer and very personable, I love mine. I like the floweri but think my 210g is too small, they do get rather large. Nigers are characters and a very cool addition, my last niger used to wrestle with my jeweled eel, the eel always won hahaha. Clown triggers are also great, and if added at a small size, can be a great tank mate. Alot of triggers like the ones you mentioned get their bad rep from mature fish direct from the ocean and kept in too small, too crowded tanks. But they are triggers at the end of the day. If you wanted the less risk of disrupting the harmony of your tank, of the ones you mentioned, I volt orange shoulder tang.

Thanks for the detailed response. How are orange shoulder and floweri in terms of hardiness to disease, nitrate levels and food finickiness?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange shoulder and all I know of them, they are extremely hardy, not known to be disease prone at all. Mine eats pretty much everything and grazes all day. He went into my tank early on so there wasnt alot of grazing at 1st, I offer my tangs and angels Hikari mega algae and grazing, I dont feed nori. They are also not known for hlle so can get by on a omnivorous diet with some grazing. Loves shaved algae from the glass. Oh nitrates, I dont think they bother him since I never check.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks Lion King! I had been wanting to keep Naso but I lost 2 and do not want to try again - I will make do with Orange shoulder, may be it will be even nicer - with its "dancer" personality!

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So here is the confirmed list:
1. Two Bicolor goatfish (great looking, easy fish and amazing cleaner!)

2. Yellow Tang (Hardy, vibrant color, very active)

3. Orange shoulder (you all voted!)

Pending decision - I would like to add another active fish

Either a small 2 inch Clown trigger - question will it grow to be nasty? To my larger picasso or 2 inch clown pair or all fishes?

Or get a school of 3 Azure damsel (which damsel is least agressive and good looking?) if it will not bother my ocelaris pair (1.5 inch and 2 inch) or my other fishes ...

What do you advise?

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest a scribbled angelfish if your budget allows it (a pair would even do great). Doesn’t grow as large as the mac or queen, and has very vibrant colors. May I know what a saddleback angelfish is? Can’t seem to find an angelfish with that common name, unless you were referring to the saddleback butterflyfish.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi There, yes I meant saddleback butterflyfish (sorry about the typo).

Regarding scribbled angelfish- are they active? Are they hardy? Do they have cynide use issues ... many angels die after several weeka of normal life ...

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
pretty sure the damsels are more likely to get eaten themselves than they are to bother any of the fish on that list
I have 1 inch and 1.5 inch clown and they are fine... why would damsels get eaten?

Also, i worry if damsels would bother my clown pair or others?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still going to give the clown trigger 50/50 is he ends up being a model citizen or a murderer when he matures. I hate to break it to you but the picasso also has a slight chance of turning bad when he matures. Many fish, especially aggressive natured fish, don't show their true nature until they mature. The picasso usually around 5", they are slow growers and the longer it the tank the better. A 220g is a good tank size for a mature picasso, but it is on the smaller side for a mature clown trigger. In all honesty when these fish mature they do better in a tank with equally aggressive mates, and a lightly stocked. There is also a risk if you introduce a clown trigger too small to defend himself, the picasso will immediately kill him.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand why you would want one, but I would skip the clown trigger.

I'd get a couple tangs. The white tail, fowleri, or orange shoulder would be fine. Really any tang besides the huge Naso spp and the Sohal would be fine.

Any of the Chrysiptera genus damsels would be the wimpiest fish in the tank. I like yellow tail and sapphire.

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There, yes I meant saddleback butterflyfish (sorry about the typo).

Regarding scribbled angelfish- are they active? Are they hardy? Do they have cynide use issues ... many angels die after several weeka of normal life ...

Yes they're very active fish, and they wouldn't have cyanide issues since they're local to Australia. I have a pair, and I couldn't comment on hardiness as I quarantine all my fish, until now they're thriving and I'm just waiting for the larger of the two to turn into a male.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Anyone with any experience with French Angel? How good are they with eating, disease resistance, behaviour with other fishes? If they are introduced early as juvi - will they be like Annularis, Blueface or queen or meaner?

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with any experience with French Angel? How good are they with eating, disease resistance, behaviour with other fishes? If they are introduced early as juvi - will they be like Annularis, Blueface or queen or meaner?

Not advisable in a 220G. Those get HUGE. The height of those fish is just as long as its length.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back