Any suggestions on high TDS in 300 gallons

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a major move across our Canadian country, we've set up our 300 gallon, and was just about to cycle the water, and decided to test the water with a handheld tds meter. It comes out at around 69ppm. Our home is supplied by well water, and before the ro/di unit, the water comes out at approximately 375ppm. I have a 4 stage unit and just added the BRS triple-stage di to the setup to help clean things up. Would anyone know why the unit is reading 0 on the 4 stage and 0 on the triple-stage (whenever it gets to 1, I change the sediment filter and the di resin filter if it's exhausted), yet I'm getting such a high (69ppm) reading in the tank's water?

Would you drain it and start again, perhaps with a new membrane, as we are planning mixed corals. Would you add a second canister for a dual sediment filter? Luckily I hadn't added salt (or any bacteria) yet - So the TDS should be accurate.

When we were in Abbotsford BC, our (from the tap) water was only 6ppm - Some of the cleanest water I've ever seen. Lots of iron in this well water here in Ontario. Appreciate any feedback, and thank you in advance.

IMG_3867.jpg

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that matters is you saw the zero which means all the stuff from the source water is gone.
That is the only useful thing TDS tells you.
Once it reads zero everything the water touches after that adds TDS back once you start using it.
The stuff you wanted removed by the RO/DI filter is still gone. It didnt magically get back into the water.
If you had saltwater in the tank before or even dust, the water TDS went back up when you put it in.
Doesn't mean a thing. Dont worry about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Torontotraders

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that matters is you saw the zero which means all the stuff from the source water is gone.
That is the only useful thing TDS tells you.
Once it reads zero everything the water touches after that adds TDS back once you start using it.
The stuff you wanted removed by the RO/DI filter is still gone. It didnt magically get back into the water.
If you tank had saltwater in the tank before or even dust the water TDS went back up when you put it in.
Doesn't mean a thing. Dont worry about it.
Well I’m certainly glad to read this, and it certainly makes sense! Thank you.

machome79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a major move across our Canadian country, we've set up our 300 gallon, and was just about to cycle the water, and decided to test the water with a handheld tds meter. It comes out at around 69ppm. Our home is supplied by well water, and before the ro/di unit, the water comes out at approximately 375ppm. I have a 4 stage unit and just added the BRS triple-stage di to the setup to help clean things up. Would anyone know why the unit is reading 0 on the 4 stage and 0 on the triple-stage (whenever it gets to 1, I change the sediment filter and the di resin filter if it's exhausted), yet I'm getting such a high (69ppm) reading in the tank's water?

Would you drain it and start again, perhaps with a new membrane, as we are planning mixed corals. Would you add a second canister for a dual sediment filter? Luckily I hadn't added salt (or any bacteria) yet - So the TDS should be accurate.

When we were in Abbotsford BC, our (from the tap) water was only 6ppm - Some of the cleanest water I've ever seen. Lots of iron in this well water here in Ontario. Appreciate any feedback, and thank you in advance.

IMG_3867.jpg
awesome setup!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back