Any suggestions on shipping corals for the first time?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, no, 2 days is just fine for most corals. Possibly all corals? I'm not sure if acros and the other really fussy ones will tolerate it, but everything else will tolerate 2 days in the mail. Heck, most zoas should be fine for 3 days, if the temps are reasonably stable.

nitos7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am attempting to learn how to ship corals. Also, greatly wondering how one gets the ability/"privilege" to post in the for sale forums.
Here is the process I was going to do.

1. Wrap coral in tube bag with just enough water to cover coral.
2. Tie the bag withrubber band right above the water line
3. Put this bag in another bag and do the same thing (2-3 times)
4. Get cold/freezer packs (summer) Heat packs (winter)
frozen ice pack gel pack from Walmart
probably around 2-3
5. wrap them in newspaper THAN put that in a closed plastic bag in case it wets

6. Get styrofoam insulated box and put the corals and freeze packs in the box
(if no styrofoam use bubble wrap)
7. Put the insulated box in a cardboard box. In between the two boxes filled with bubble wrap, styrofoam, or plastic peanuts.

8. Next Day Delivery
fedex or ups
go to a hub (not a normal store)

I am trying to find someone I can send free corals who would pay for shipping seeing it is my first time.
Depending on the corals I would try the experiment

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just got quotes online and Fedex priority 1 day is asking $130, and 2day is $60 to ship something 6 states away... UPS is $110 for single day and $50 for 2day shipping. Am I doing something wrong? No way this can be right seeing I typically pay $30-$50 for single day shipping when I buy corals online.
That's correct. Coral shipping is a game for the "big boy" retailers who get ginormous discounts. The rest of us pay out the nose.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, when I was shipping freshwater fish and plants, they all went through usps for 4-5 days. Including the fish. I got many live on arrival, only 1 shipment was doa and it was the packer's fault.

So in theory the 2 day option should be fine for most of the corals.

I also received a couple late coral shipments, both were in winter too, one was doa because it was 4 days out, but it also arrived at 42degrees F. The next was one day late, arrived at 57 degrees and all lived, ricordeas, zoas, favia, and a rock flower anemone.

Were the quotes from your actual hub location or from the internet? I found huge discounts with all shippers when using PirateShip. Com and other discounted shipping sites, there are a ton of them to choose from. Also if you go to the hub they might be able to work with you on finding a cheaper rate, maybe smaller/lighter box or something?

Have you tried to PM any of the sellers here to see how they are getting their rates to 50/ box?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 2 day shipping is totally acceptable for selling a coral to a customer? Seeing the packaging and temperature is fine/regulated. @nitos7 I am going to try it! Just want to get the shipping straightened out first. Thank you to all the nice people here for helping me.

I dont know any sellers to ask personally. Does anyone here want to explain how they can get $50 one day shipping on corals without being a huge time seller?

@Mhamilton0911 reef cleaners sent me a bunch of commensal shrimp during the winter without proper heating. They all came in 50 degrees over 2-3 days. Most of the shrimp were curled up on their backs and not moving when I got them. Most of them are still with me to this day about 10 months later. Hoping to avoid any bad shipping process like that though! I got the quotes online though not from an actual hub. Does Pirateship have the accountability of larger shipping sites? I may give them a try..

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pirate Ship is only discounting the shipping rates, you still choose the carrier you want and drop it of to them. You can get quotes without signing up but if you want to sign up its free.

I use them for my labels for USPS when I ship the towels I make, I save about half the cost than I would have paid for the same thing at the post office. I just print at home and drop off at the post office.

I'm sure the cost difference/savings will vary on each carrier and each box size/weight so play around with various sizes when quoting.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pirate Ship is only discounting the shipping rates, you still choose the carrier you want and drop it of to them. You can get quotes without signing up but if you want to sign up its free.

I use them for my labels for USPS when I ship the towels I make, I save about half the cost than I would have paid for the same thing at the post office. I just print at home and drop off at the post office.

I'm sure the cost difference/savings will vary on each carrier and each box size/weight so play around with various sizes when quoting.
Thanks for the lead on PirateShip. I have a UPS account (low $60s per box on avg.) supposedly discounted about 30% over retail, and they're (PS) cheaper than what my rep gives me... definitely get a feeling that she gets a cut/commission on the difference between what the actual ship rate is and what MY rate is. She tries to insinuate threats that my $hitty rate is going to increase if I don't ship a lot more Gonna cut her loose! Surprise! Already linked it to my Shopify account.

nitos7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 2 day shipping is totally acceptable for selling a coral to a customer? Seeing the packaging and temperature is fine/regulated. @nitos7 I am going to try it! Just want to get the shipping straightened out first. Thank you to all the nice people here for helping me.

I dont know any sellers to ask personally. Does anyone here want to explain how they can get $50 one day shipping on corals without being a huge time seller?

@Mhamilton0911 reef cleaners sent me a bunch of commensal shrimp during the winter without proper heating. They all came in 50 degrees over 2-3 days. Most of the shrimp were curled up on their backs and not moving when I got them. Most of them are still with me to this day about 10 months later. Hoping to avoid any bad shipping process like that though! I got the quotes online though not from an actual hub. Does Pirateship have the accountability of larger shipping sites? I may give them a try..
How is the experiment going?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am checking out u-line now which seems my best option for affordable styrofoam containers. What dimension box do you guys recommend for smaller frag shipments? Im guessing the smallest 3 models would be okay?

Carrie dascoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am attempting to learn how to ship corals. Also, greatly wondering how one gets the ability/"privilege" to post in the for sale forums.
Here is the process I was going to do.

1. Wrap coral in tube bag with just enough water to cover coral.
2. Tie the bag withrubber band right above the water line
3. Put this bag in another bag and do the same thing (2-3 times)
4. Get cold/freezer packs (summer) Heat packs (winter)
frozen ice pack gel pack from Walmart
probably around 2-3
5. wrap them in newspaper THAN put that in a closed plastic bag in case it wets

6. Get styrofoam insulated box and put the corals and freeze packs in the box
(if no styrofoam use bubble wrap)
7. Put the insulated box in a cardboard box. In between the two boxes filled with bubble wrap, styrofoam, or plastic peanuts.

8. Next Day Delivery
fedex or ups
go to a hub (not a normal store)

I am trying to find someone I can send free corals who would pay for shipping seeing it is my first time.
Use ups instead of FedEx but def the ice packs and bagging things like was suggested. Anytime I've hada problem with delays its been with FedEx and they will not help with reimbursement because they say they do not ship live animals and therefore are not responsible. Now ups I've never had an issue with . I had one delay one time for a scheduled delivery on a Friday which meant the package had to sit over the weekend that following Monday morning I not only had my shipment bright and early but also a check for reimbursement for the shipping dee and another check the next day to cover the losses I had. No fighting back and fourth just dast agreeable customer service

WetPets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am checking out u-line now which seems my best option for affordable styrofoam containers. What dimension box do you guys recommend for smaller frag shipments? Im guessing the smallest 3 models would be okay?
8x6x7 is a good size for a small box anything smaller doesn’t have much room inside because the styrofoam eats up a good amount of space. We have used shipyouraquatics.com it saves a good amount off of fedex.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back