hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

While browsing some sites I found this :

They say it's "extremely unique in that it grows by branching out of one large stalk and spreads much slower than any other Xenia species." Think it's real/legit? I think some xenia that grows out of a stalk that doesn't spread everywhere would be very cool to have.

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got it, and it can move. Bought on a plug and it jumped onto the main rock. Bulbs at the bottom similar to Kenya trees but yes it grows in stalks

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have marine farmers "ruby red Xenia" which is a red version of pulsing Xenia that seems to grow like this. I also have a brown Xenia that has a single stalk.

Josh@BVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people literally pay me to remove xenia cause it gets to overgrown. if not properly trimmed and maintained this could be the case for you as well. also i would never pay more then $5 for any size xenia. i guarantee if you post you location there are some reefers around that would give it to you for free. unless your not in a very populated area. thats def the case here in MA/CT

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people literally pay me to remove xenia cause it gets to overgrown. if not properly trimmed and maintained this could be the case for you as well. also i would never pay more then $5 for any size xenia. i guarantee if you post you location there are some reefers around that would give it to you for free. unless your not in a very populated area. thats def the case here in MA/CT
This seems to be a certain subspecies of Xenia though, one that grows from a stalk as opposed to a mat

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

While browsing some sites I found this :

They say it's "extremely unique in that it grows by branching out of one large stalk and spreads much slower than any other Xenia species." Think it's real/legit? I think some xenia that grows out of a stalk that doesn't spread everywhere would be very cool to have.

I purchased an Efflatournia from UC about 2 months ago. It was really tiny. It is a single stalk and has one branch at the bottom. Hasn't moved yet and has really started to grow tall and branch out on the top. I am hoping this works as I didn't want it everywhere. It doesn't pulse like Xenia.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the stalk Xenia, its white and pulses beautifully looks just like the pic. It does not (or hasn’t yet but it’s been in my tank for a little over a year) jump from rock to rock. Small branches grow out of the large trunk then another trunk will begin to form and thus it spreads but a 1”x1” area can be cleared by simply removing the one trunk section by peeling it off the rock it’s very easy and I don’t have any problems keeping it under control

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this type of Xenia, and yes it will try to spread a bit. In two years, I have only had one instance of it actually attaching to a rock other than the one I placed it on.

My LFS told me this type of Xenia used to be common, but not anymore. So he told me to bring as much as I can in, and he will always be willing to trade for it.

Josh@BVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know what the species is but i've seen many different types of xenia. they all eventually do the same if not maintained. i recoment putting it on a lone rock in the sand bed and trimming occasionally making sure none of the flesh gets spread around the tank when you do so. even the branching types will spread. the mat is def the one that spreads faster but the stalking variety still does spread just at a slower rate (still pretty fast) and is a bit easier to trim back cause u can just cut down at the base

OP
OP
hds4216

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the stalk Xenia, its white and pulses beautifully looks just like the pic. It does not (or hasn’t yet but it’s been in my tank for a little over a year) jump from rock to rock. Small branches grow out of the large trunk then another trunk will begin to form and thus it spreads but a 1”x1” area can be cleared by simply removing the one trunk section by peeling it off the rock it’s very easy and I don’t have any problems keeping it under control
Wow, that sounds tempting tbh. Might have to get one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back