Any toxicity of this polyp clover (clavularia)

Cuzuco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My nano tank is about a year old, at some point I was bored and desperate as my corals didn’t grow fast enough so I have the brilliant idea to introduce some clover polyp corals (clavularia tricolor is called over here).
Now it is hard to contain and the only natural way to do so is to put other corals nearby to impeach them spreading.
so far it is mostly contained to the back wall of the aquarium, but as it begun spreading I decided today to take away a part of it by using a razor and cut some pieces from a small piece of rock that was already colonizing.
somewhere I had read that most soft corals are toxic , some more than others, so now I am a bit worried that after chopping those corals I may have released some toxins in the water that may be bad for my fish, my corals or myself if I don’t use any sort of glove while handling my aquarium during my next water change for example.
I’ve read about some people scrubbing them, chopping them too but haven’t read about any sort of precautions I may need to have now after this. My local fish store told me that I shouldn’t worried and that they don’t release any sort of toxin or anything, but that next time I should try to get them out of the rock using some tweezers.
Do you think that there is any sort of danger on handling now anything in that nano tank without gloves? Or even any sort of issue ? You read lot of crazy stories about palytoxins getting airborne and so on.

Attached a picture of the corals and the small region I “cleaned”

909D1656-140F-418B-B1FB-5638D584B34F.jpeg

thanks

goggs29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got palytoxin twice, came with a high fever and chills that make frosty shiver. So gloves if u are removing the rock to be safe. The hardest thing in this hobby is patience, and at times lack of it does us dirty.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back