any way to fix a small seep/leak in a glued up pvc pipe? Also, is the pvc glue safe after it dries? still smells pretty strong

fish face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any way to fix this small leak / seeping ? Or do I have to cut and re-glue a new union? I glued and this is shortly after the pump so pretty good pressure, it flows into the open salt water mixing tank pictured.
Also, the glue after drying was still pretty strong smelling. I used Oatey Fusion one step, and I did use the cleaner first (not primer). I already mixed up some salt but if I have to get rid of it that is fine. thanks.

leak 2.jpg leak 1.jpg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fish face that‘s a bummer about the leak. I ‘m looking forward to seeing what others say about how to fix it.

But in terms of smell, I wouldn’t worry about it or the water. Double check your instructions but the Oatey two part PVC cement you hold it in place for 30 seconds and then I think after 15 min it’s pretty well cured. I usually let PVC cure for a couple of hours before getting it wet but that’s just me.

OP
OP
fish face

fish face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fish face that‘s a bummer about the leak. I ‘m looking forward to seeing what others say about how to fix it.

But in terms of smell, I wouldn’t worry about it or the water. Double check your instructions but the Oatey two part PVC cement you hold it in place for 30 seconds and then I think after 15 min it’s pretty well cured. I usually let PVC cure for a couple of hours before getting it wet but that’s just me.
This new one step stuff says 2hr dry time. I have always heard that the smell doesn't effect anything, it's just hard to believe because it effects me....it smells terrible! I glued another refill thing last night, let it sit all night, rinsed it with fresh water and IT still smells terrible.
thxs 4 the input!

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any way to fix this small leak / seeping ? Or do I have to cut and re-glue a new union? I glued and this is shortly after the pump so pretty good pressure, it flows into the open salt water mixing tank pictured.
Also, the glue after drying was still pretty strong smelling. I used Oatey Fusion one step, and I did use the cleaner first (not primer). I already mixed up some salt but if I have to get rid of it that is fine. thanks.

leak 2.jpg leak 1.jpg
@fish face I had the same problem after plumbing my water mixing station. I never plumb before and really screwed up the primer/cement coverage. The cost/effort to cut and redo was overwhelming.

I ultimately plugged the leaks with J-B WaterWeld. I reviewed a few forums/reviews/product info to confirm it would be safe to use. The water station has been up and running for almost two years and there are still no leaks.

Hope this helps and good luck,

B-Kind

OP
OP
fish face

fish face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fish face I had the same problem after plumbing my water mixing station. I never plumb before and really screwed up the primer/cement coverage. The cost/effort to cut and redo was overwhelming.

I ultimately plugged the leaks with J-B WaterWeld. I reviewed a few forums/reviews/product info to confirm it would be safe to use. The water station has been up and running for almost two years and there are still no leaks.

Hope this helps and good luck,

B-Kind
great idea! I first tried to put more pvc cement and hope it would seal, that did not work. before I read your comment , tried some liquid superglue and some gel superglue, so far it stopped seeping!!!!! fingers crossed. that sucks that you messed up all those joints. I have plumbed numerous times before but this was my first time using the one step glue also my first leak. knock wood everything else seems to be leak free! thanks 4 the input!

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I would do if it starts leaking again.

If you have another piece of green pipe, buy another union and redo the leaking side. Should only take a few minutes to unscrew the union, remove the bad side, and remake it.

As for smell, I always try to wait until it goes away. It's still curing and off gassing if you can smell it. The joint may hold ok, but I take the safer than sorry approach.

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great idea! I first tried to put more pvc cement and hope it would seal, that did not work. before I read your comment , tried some liquid superglue and some gel superglue, so far it stopped seeping!!!!! fingers crossed. that sucks that you messed up all those joints. I have plumbed numerous times before but this was my first time using the one step glue also my first leak. knock wood everything else seems to be leak free! thanks 4 the input!
Happy it worked out. Super glue probably smelled better then the J-B Waterweld anyway!

Cheers to having saltwater on hand!
IMG_6123 3.jpeg

B-Kind

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back