Any way to fix this connector pin?

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210114_165019.jpg

One of the pins of my ATI dongle broke and now I can't connect my laptop to the lamp anymore. Turns out that these things are almost impossible to get...

Is there a way I can fix this myself?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find an extension cable for it, you might be able to stuff a thin piece of copper wire or a paperclip in the female side sticking out enough to make contact with what's left on the male side.
Come to think of it, you might just be able to stick a wire in that spot in whatever this connects to and hope for the best. You don't have a whole lot to lose.

Also, is that the same size as an s-video cable? You might be able to use an s-video cable to make an extension like I mentioned before or, if the connector is identical, cut off the bad one and splice a new one on.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find an extension cable for it, you might be able to stuff a thin piece of copper wire or a paperclip in the female side sticking out enough to make contact with what's left on the male side.
Come to think of it, you might just be able to stick a wire in that spot in whatever this connects to and hope for the best. You don't have a whole lot to lose.

Also, is that the same size as an s-video cable? You might be able to use an s-video cable to make an extension like I mentioned before or, if the connector is identical, cut off the bad one and splice a new one on.
I believe it is the same size, yes. I'll try that, thanks!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that looks like a normal s video connector. Is the cable attached or plugged in at the other end? That changes whether it's a matter of plug a new one in or snip the old one off and solder/ attach inside the device.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that looks like a normal s video connector. Is the cable attached or plugged in at the other end? That changes whether it's a matter of plug a new one in or snip the old one off and solder/ attach inside the device.
This is the entire thing. The usb end goes into my laptop. The other end goes into the controller/computer of the lights itself. All it does is make a connection between the lamp and my laptop to control intensity and programs.

I believe I've read that, according to ATI, an universal cable won't work or something. However, now that I think about it they were talking about a dongle. I guess that's what the rectangular part on the usb end is right?

Attachments

• 20210115_151550.jpg
    20210115_151550.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210115_151539.jpg
    20210115_151539.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210115_151800.jpg
    20210115_151800.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 27

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the entire thing. The usb end goes into my laptop. The other end goes into the controller/computer of the lights itself. All it does is make a connection between the lamp and my laptop to control intensity and programs.

I believe I've read that, according to ATI, an universal cable won't work or something. However, now that I think about it they were talking about a dongle. I guess that's what the rectangular part on the usb end is right?
Oh, ok, there's probably some electronic stuff in the little box, not just a plug, hence "dongle".

Does it look like you could open it without destroying it? Then you could replace the entire cable instead of snipping and splicing.

Or avoid the hassle and buy a new one,ATI lists them for 20€

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, ok, there's probably some electronic stuff in the little box, not just a plug, hence "dongle".

Does it look like you could open it without destroying it? Then you could replace the entire cable instead of snipping and splicing.

Or avoid the hassle and buy a new one,ATI lists them for 20€
I can move the top and bottom side a tiny bit apart, but that's it.

Unfortunately ATI doesn't ship to my country. My LFS might be able to order one, but they need a receipt. This device is a couple of years old and second hand, so getting a receipt might be a little difficult :p

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what it looks like... to the left the one connected to the dongle. 1 red 1 orange, 1 brown and 1 black wire. To the right is a new s cable. 1 yellow, 1 white, 1 blue, 1 green and 1 orange. How do I connect these? What's the 5th wire for and do I need it?

20210120_135520.jpg
Also these are the ends of both cables. The old one has an arrow in only 1 direction, the new one has 2. I assume that has to do with the extra wire?
20210120_140046.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back