Any way to get rid of bubble algae without getting an emerald crab?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a real problem with bubble algae, but don’t want to get an emerald crab because I have a tank full of LPS and the last emerald I had years ago wouldn’t leave my corals alone. Is there anything else I can do other than manual removal? Some of the bubbles are in crevices so I can’t get them out without breaking them. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought this removal tool and it has been great! The sharp tip makes it easy to remove hard to reach bubble algae that is nestled into the cracks in the rock, and it is immediately sucked out with the siphon. I highly recommend it.

Fish of Hex Bubble Algae Remover
I’ve been looking at that tool for my BA problems. How does the siphon work? Do you crimp the hose while moving around the tank, or do you use a small pump? Any advice on usage is appreciated.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just start the siphon manually and then let it run normally during my water change, targeting bubble algae on the rocks as I go. I suppose you could crimp the hose to slow down the flow and give you more time for removal, but I wouldn't want to slow the siphon too much and risk releasing the BA spores back into the tank. I just remove as much as I can during my weekly 10% water changes.

Overall I'm very happy with the product. Despite the relatively low price, it is well made via 3D printing. The nozzle tip is thick and sturdy enough to get the really stubborn algae out of the rock crevices and the opening in the nozzle is wide enough for most bubble algae you're going to encounter.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that the metal tip of my Aptasia X syringe is good at getting into crevices and loosening the bubbles without breaking them (most of the time!)

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good useful tool , but staying away from vibrant , is there a product or sure way to eradicate them for good without harming inhabitants???

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good useful tool , but staying away from vibrant , is there a product or sure way to eradicate them for good without harming inhabitants???
I don’t think so, either chemical or livestock. Either could work, or could throw the tank out of whack or damage corals. Manual removal is a pain and constant, but it the only thing I know that won’t damage anything in the tank.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth of the matter with BA (and almost any nuisance algae) is once it’s in your tank it will never be 100% eradicated without a complete reboot (even that isn’t a guarantee). It took me about two years to finally manage my BA from the point it covered every inch of my rockscape and to now where it’s no longer noticeable. Figuring out your nutrient import/export levels, lighting, and the correct amount of CUC members is really the only way you’ll get a handle on it. Vibrant, H2O2, and other additives are only temporary solutions (that can ruin your tank if not followed correctly) that may work until we can understand the real reasons why BA takes over our tanks.

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size??. I had this prob anf vibrant did destroy(or me) my 32g. I downgraded to a nano 10g innov marine just so i can do huge water changes and strip clean it if i have to.
Can you pull the rock and brush it?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size??. I had this prob anf vibrant did destroy(or me) my 32g. I downgraded to a nano 10g innov marine just so i can do huge water changes and strip clean it if i have to.
Can you pull the rock and brush it?
I have a 40g breeder so I’ve just been removing it manually. That seems to be the safest thing to do.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back