Any way to secure dry rock in a way that is reversible?

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my aquascape made of Caribsea Life Rock I have a small "bridge" piece spanning two much larger pieces (the tube is for a mantis shrimp home). It's currently balanced between the two rocks but it's precarious and needs fixing into place somehow. However, I'd never be able to lift out the pieces on either side that it's attached to as a single unit, and it's possible I might need to remove it in the future in order to change the pipe diameter for my mantis shrimp home for example. In an ideal world I don't want to glue it down in such a way that I would smash the bridge to remove it, so in an ideal world I'd like to affix it in such a way that I'd be able to later remove and re-attach the bridge piece if necessary. I have some DD Aquascape Epoxy - does that stuff stay like a chewing gum consistency long term? (if so it would be perfect). Otherwise grateful for any suggestions. If the epoxy stuff does harden solid, I suppose the next logical option would be to use the epoxy (or rock cement) but a sufficiently small amount of it that I could snap it off with a bit of force.

IMG_2189.jpg

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
epoxy would harden in about 24 hours to securely hold structure. yet I have yet to break structure that is epoxy secured while taking it down as it normally breaks off from the eopxy point which remains the weaker point.
even when I have acrylic rods plus epoxy the structure will fall appart easier that rock will shatter normally. yo ujust need to scrap off the epoxy carefully if you are afraid to break the rock.

OP
OP
wwarby

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
epoxy would harden in about 24 hours to securely hold structure. yet I have yet to break structure that is epoxy secured while taking it down as it normally breaks off from the eopxy point which remains the weaker point.
even when I have acrylic rods plus epoxy the structure will fall appart easier that rock will shatter normally. yo ujust need to scrap off the epoxy carefully if you are afraid to break the rock.
Cool, thanks, that's what I've done. I used a fairly small piece of epoxy on each side of the bridge, so hopefully if I ever need to snap it off it'll break in the right place :)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stack using rods and gravity. You will be limited somewhat, but reinforcing with rods will lessen risk of collapse but still allow you to remove and adjust rocks if needed.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke more rocks than I secured trying this lol but some people are really good at it. I am not haha
What sort of drill were you using? An impact drill/driver is required kit for the application imo. I use a 1/4" DeWalt impact driver with a Long masonry bit and it sinks to and through LR like butter.

Powderblue85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of drill were you using? An impact drill/driver is required kit for the application imo. I use a 1/4" DeWalt impact driver with a Long masonry bit and it sinks to and through LR like butter.
I was just using a standard drill, I will definitely try my impact next time! Thanks for the tip.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back