Anybody able to share their DC power solutions for their equipment?

kwirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
95% of my devices run off DC power at a few common voltages. I've been thinking that I could get together a marine battery, some DC/DC power supplies, and power my pumps & powerheads off battery-backup backed DC power which will simply keep operating in the event of a power failure. IP67 DC/DC power supplies off a marine battery that's on continual charge? Many of the power bricks could be eliminated as well, by putting together a panel for each common voltage which the devices connect into, saving space & cleaning up the wiring.

Has anybody done this? We have an good friend who's an electrician and before roping them in it'd be helpful to see if anybody else has done this, and what their setups are like, pros/cons?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1645515672837.png

My cabinet.

Described here

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
kwirky

kwirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1645515672837.png

My cabinet.

Described here

Sincerely Lasse
Last night, while waiting for replies I did more research and came across DIN panel modules, and seeing in use in your cabinet confirmed my theory that they would be perfect!

there are DIN ac/dc power supplies and dc/dc power supplies, too. There are these little meanwell DIN dc/dc power supplies which take 9-36v input which means I could drive them with a marine battery on a constant charge (outputs 24v) and when the power goes out the dcdc power slopes can still operate on the lower battery voltage (12v).

there are fuse and breaker modules, and gfci modules for added safety. I could get my 3D printer back in operation and make DIN enclosures, wire tidy parts, etc.

your cabinet looks nice and clean, using the din panels! Thanks for sharing!

so now all I need to research further is a dc ups solution. Cyberpower makes a small 50w 12 dc ups for $100 usd but it’s not enough power output. In the world of data centres I’ve found what’s known as ups controllers, available in din form factor, capable of handling very high wattage, for $400-600 usd. The ups controllers automatically cut the battery supply when ac power is active, which means you can run the entire dc output at a fixed voltage, and the charger of the batteries can be smaller and simpler.

i could start without the ups in the circuit and add that later.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night, while waiting for replies I did more research and came across DIN panel modules, and seeing in use in your cabinet confirmed my theory that they would be perfect!

there are DIN ac/dc power supplies and dc/dc power supplies, too. There are these little meanwell DIN dc/dc power supplies which take 9-36v input which means I could drive them with a marine battery on a constant charge (outputs 24v) and when the power goes out the dcdc power slopes can still operate on the lower battery voltage (12v).

there are fuse and breaker modules, and gfci modules for added safety. I could get my 3D printer back in operation and make DIN enclosures, wire tidy parts, etc.

your cabinet looks nice and clean, using the din panels! Thanks for sharing!

so now all I need to research further is a dc ups solution. Cyberpower makes a small 50w 12 dc ups for $100 usd but it’s not enough power output. In the world of data centres I’ve found what’s known as ups controllers, available in din form factor, capable of handling very high wattage, for $400-600 usd. The ups controllers automatically cut the battery supply when ac power is active, which means you can run the entire dc output at a fixed voltage, and the charger of the batteries can be smaller and simpler.

i could start without the ups in the circuit and add that later.

If you're using a battery float method, then as you described a main power supply + charger (probably two redundant main supplies if you can swing it, with a crossover controller or ideal-diode solution), going to a series of DC/DC converters to handle other voltages (e.g., 36V return pumps, 24V powerheads, 48V LED lighting, 12V misc, etc).

Back