Anybody else having PMUP v2 problems?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an ATK v2 early august. About 3 weeks later my Apex was reporting "Error on ATK_PMUP" and my ATO wasn't getting TO'd. After a couple of quick emails with Neptune support, they sent me out a replacement.

Now the replacement has died.

I'm going through PMUP's about once a month...

Am I unlucky? or should I start looking for a more reliable solution?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My V1s have been reliable, over the last 2 years or so.
I upgraded to the V2s because they address some common failure modes with the V1.
My V2s have been working perfectly since installed, about 3 months now.
Is it just RODI water in your ATO, or do you add kalk? Kalk is known to be hard on pumps.

OP
OP
TheLost

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just RO... but it does push up 11' from my basement to the tank (still under the 14' limit they claim).

To keep my ATO working I went out and bought a stand-alone PMUP v2 while I was waiting on the replacement.

I took the replacement PMUP and put it on my BRS reactor and It died within a few days.

I wish there was a way to monitor the 24vdc port on an Energy Bar. I didn't get any type of alert when my reactor stopped working.

I offered to send both bad pumps back to Neptune, but they just said they are sending me out another replacement.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11’ head pressure sounds like you’re pushing the limit of the pump. I have one and I wouldn’t feel like it could handle that head pressure. But if that’s what they rate it for then they should honor the claim. I would consider selling it and looking at other top off options if it keeps breaking. ATO should be super reliable. With that head height you might want to look at using a peristaltic doser or other pump.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hummm, I just got one to use as a ATO pump. Hopefully it lasts

anonomous09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a V2 pump since they began shipping in July. I’ve run it dry about once a week from a small reservoir. I haven’t had any issues!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just placed the new V2, and it barely pushes water and then goes in to error.
Anyone experiencing this?

OP
OP
TheLost

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11’ head pressure sounds like you’re pushing the limit of the pump. I have one and I wouldn’t feel like it could handle that head pressure. But if that’s what they rate it for then they should honor the claim. I would consider selling it and looking at other top off options if it keeps breaking. ATO should be super reliable. With that head height you might want to look at using a peristaltic doser or other pump.

The 14' head hight is advertised all over the PMUPv2 and the ATKv2. Quoted from the Neptune site...

ATO will likely be the most popular use for this pump. And unlike many wimpy pumps out there, the PMUP has enough pressure to push water up 14 feet vertically, it can even move the water up from one floor below.

This means you could put your RO water storage in your basement or downstairs in a utility room and it could still pump it up to the tank.

It's actually why I ditched my Tunze and picked up the ATKv2.

Neptune has been super cool in replacing my PMUP's... I just wonder if it will become a monthly event.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have very low to no delivery of water with the new V2 and am giving up on having an ATK.

OP
OP
TheLost

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very low to no delivery of water with the new V2 and am giving up on having an ATK.

From my basement, it takes about 20 seconds for my ATO to complete. My old Tunze 3155 would take ~10 seconds pulling water from a reservoir inside my cabinet. I'll take the 20 seconds and never filling up my ATO reservoir :)

Are you using the siphon break? If so, take that out (as long as you don't run the risk of a siphon) and see if that improves the pressure/speed.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
From my basement, it takes about 20 seconds for my ATO to complete. My old Tunze 3155 would take ~10 seconds pulling water from a reservoir inside my cabinet. I'll take the 20 seconds and never filling up my ATO reservoir :)

Are you using the siphon break? If so, take that out (as long as you don't run the risk of a siphon) and see if that improves the pressure/speed.
Siphon break ?

OP
OP
TheLost

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
siphon-break-instructions.png

If you have that installed it's probably reducing the amount of water getting to your tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I appreciate diagram. I have the straight orange tubing from pump right to the float

OP
OP
TheLost

TheLost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate diagram. I have the straight orange tubing from pump right to the float

You may want to contact Neptune support using the form on their website.. As I said earlier I've been using one v2 PMUP to drive a dual BRS GFO/Carbon reactor. It had enough pressure to push water through the 1/2 tubing and through both canisters. (of course... that was before it died on me :) )

You may have a defective pump

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you cleaned the float? Mines gunked up before.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had no problems with my v1 PMUPs. I have one in my ATO reservoir, and a 2nd one that runs my refugium 24/7. I typically clean my pumps every 6 months as part of my routine maintenance.

GGkubs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an ATK v2 early august. About 3 weeks later my Apex was reporting "Error on ATK_PMUP" and my ATO wasn't getting TO'd. After a couple of quick emails with Neptune support, they sent me out a replacement.

Now the replacement has died.

I'm going through PMUP's about once a month...

Am I unlucky? or should I start looking for a more reliable solution?
I have 4 PMP V2's and I can't get one of them to work, either by the power unit or the 24 v adaptor. I had already sent one back. That makes 5 pumps that worked for a while and then went bad.

Back