Anybody had long term success vs. bryopsis?

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run Flucon twice. Both times bryopsis died but came back after removing. The second time, I kept some amount of Flucon in the tank for 3 months before I ran any carbon. About 6 weeks later (after I started running carbon 2-3 days per week every 2 weeks), it came back. I have no problem killing it with Flucon and even keeping it away at low doses. However, 4-6 weeks after I run carbon, it comes back.

Has anybody actually been able to eradicate?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody actually been able to eradicate?

Yep,
Same formula that we used to have, in the ole Tech-M magnesium.

Brightwell Aquatics Hydrat-MG

Used to climb my mag with this formula to about 2,000 ppm a hold for about six weeks.

Your snails will stop moving at about 1,600 ppm and it take a lot of mag to "slowly" work it up that high.

When it's gone, go back to another magnesium supplement, that is more pure.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can eradicate it here.

Bold claim to blurt out but see if you agree on test rock rationale. Don’t subject your whole tank to experiments, absolutely cause one test rock to comply by doing surgical precision things to it, outside the tank. Also, are we assembling fails or wins there, with surgical work vs water work- we think tanks can be required to comply.

We think if you can cause one test rock to comply and sustain, among a tank that selects for the particular algae regardless of genus, then when you upscale that method to the whole tank time will be well spent
B

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crashjack

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep,
Same formula that we used to have, in the ole Tech-M magnesium.

Brightwell Aquatics Hydrat-MG

Used to climb my mag with this formula to about 2,000 ppm a hold for about six weeks.

Your snails will stop moving at about 1,600 ppm and it take a lot of mag to "slowly" work it up that high.

When it's gone, go back to another magnesium supplement, that is more pure.

I read the article, but no mention of long term success. Flucon (Fluconzole) has no problem killing the stuff with it all being pretty much gone in 2 weeks. The problem is, the bryopsis always comes back a while after the Fluconzole is removed with carbon. For me, corals take a hit (especially acros) with a full dose but seem to bounce back at least some, when levels get down to a half-dose or so. It sounds like with elevated Mg, your snails are affected, which sounds like nuisance algae might be a bigger problem and/or you might have to replace your snails.

Did you have long term success with elevated Mg (Tech-M or Brightwell)?

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole worked for me. After the course, I have kept up with 20% water changes every week. No bryopsis for more than 1.5 years now.

OP
OP
Crashjack

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bold claim to blurt out but see if you agree on test rock rationale. Don’t subject your whole tank to experiments, absolutely cause one test rock to comply by doing surgical precision things to it, outside the tank. Also, are we assembling fails or wins there, with surgical work vs water work- we think tanks can be required to comply.

We think if you can cause one test rock to comply and sustain, among a tank that selects for the particular algae regardless of genus, then when you upscale that method to the whole tank time will be well spent
B

I'm not arguing that your methodology wouldn't work just that in its full form, it isn't feasible for me. First, my tank is decent sized 6' x 2' x 19", and I have rocks larger than basketballs with corals (some of which are encrusted)... not anywhere near full, but more than I can really fool with. Not only the size issues, but I'm physically handicapped and rely on a maintenance guy that comes every two weeks for the "heavy lifting". I just started having him vacuum the sand and plan to continue with every water change for awhile. I also have a GHA issue as a result of battling dinos twice (I finally won) and the resulting cyano that turned into GHA, but at least the cyano is gone. We now remove as much GHA as we can with a toothbrush every water change. All of that said, bryopsis is a different animal.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have long term success with elevated Mg (Tech-M or Brightwell)?

I have not had bryopsis in many many years, but when the Tech-M treatment was over, the bryopsis was truly gone. But Tech-M did have mixed results from talking to others, back then. Could be more than one species.

@Rakie
Used the Hydrat-MG while doing the fluconazole treatment at the same time. I don't think his bryopsis came back.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Seachem magnesium to raise my Mg to 1480 ppm. It got rid of my bryopsis. It also killed most of my snails. Once you get close to 1500 ppm, many will whither away and die. I heard one member get rid of theirs with a 3 week long treatment with fluconazole. They said after it died back they had to continue treatment for another week to kill the roots. If you'd like to try a more natural approach I hear rabbit fish and lettuce seaslugs (Elyssia crispata) eat it.

OP
OP
Crashjack

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m just going to run a third round of Flucon at 1/2 dose but run the normal time frame (a month) and only shutting down skimmer/UV for the first 3-4 days. I might not run carbon for a few months, however. One difference this time compared to last time is that when it came back last time, I waited a month or so to re-treat. I just noticed the new growth within the last week and only in one location. Tomorrow will be the first w/c since I noticed so I will dose Flucon after adding new water. I wonder if success might be related to catching quickly and why some have success running 2-3 rounds for only a month or so at a time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back