Anybody have a grown out TSA Woolly Mammoth

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, I have never seen anybody post a grown out colony of this one. I have a small frag and it does not even look close to the mother colony they post. It is brown and has smaller polyps than my palmers blue Mille. I am just wondering if it will get better, or if their photo has been altered a huge amount! If it is not going to get better I am going to move it to a less prominent part of my tank, or possibly even to the frag tank!

Thanks,

David

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only 6 months old and has not grown much. I know I’m probably worrying too early, but I have never seen a colony of this, so I just wondered. I have radion gen 4 pro and t5 hybrid. All blue plus t5 and ab plus radion setting. Alk is 8, ph 8.1 to 8.2, cal 420, mag 1350 nitrates are 5ish, phos .03 from ulr Hana . Similar to what TSA keeps. I will post a picture tomorrow, but it’s not much to look at!

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the frag they sent me

0979F57C-5DCA-4A13-9ABC-C86E9FDAE5DE.jpeg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you expecting it to have crazy long polyps like their pic? Sorry you got such a brown frag, I would expect more from any high end shop.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t feel too bad though, I have 3 frags from Top Shelf that have shown virtually zero growth in a year. I’m certain it’s not my system either, I have 90 other sps corals growing insane amounts. Kind of sucks though because the 3 are the most expensive I have ever bought and without a doubt are the most lame I have ever had. That was without question a one and done dealing with TSA.

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other sps are growing well. I always expect a frag to be browned a bit, but this is not even close. I would expect it to at least have as long of polyps as a Mille. This thing has the smallest polyps of any of my sps other than a few smooth skin ones I have. Oh well, I guess it will go in the frag tank and I will see if it ever colors up or gets better polyps

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the main reason I only buy boxes of wilds now. No disappointment or feelings of being ripped off. The high end vendors now have to resort to making average corals look or seem like rare gems because there is almost nothing new coming in. Things are changing that’s for sure.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%

Back