Anybody in there own area ever try to start a coral farmers market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am talking about a simple one one day weekend event for a couple of hours every so often. A event without all the fluff and sponsor and prize stuff. Just a bunch of reef addicts showing up and swaping frags. Some cities i used to live did that. I mean we all got extra stuff to get rid of. It used to be equipment and frags. I miss that kind of thing. I guess its just the lock downs and all killing it. I know i would be interested in my area.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to.volunteer on the board of a local sw club. It has disolved. It is not as easy as you think running a non for profit. What your talking about doing sounds better. Meet or not. All you can do is pick a parking lot and time/date. Post it. Ect.
D

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This used to be very common. At least in my experience that was really what a frag swap was. Havent seen something like that in many years in my area though. Now it is a handful of hobbyist tables to appease the reef club members and then trying to get as many commercial vendors pulled in as possible.

I miss the old way, but maybe just cause i getting old.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This used to be very common. At least in my experience that was really what a frag swap was. Havent seen something like that in many years in my area though. Now it is a handful of hobbyist tables to appease the reef club members and then trying to get as many commercial vendors pulled in as possible.

I miss the old way, but maybe just cause i getting old.
I agree i liked it the simple old way. We are all getting old

OP
OP
U

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to.volunteer on the board of a local sw club. It has disolved. It is not as easy as you think running a non for profit. What your talking about doing sounds better. Meet or not. All you can do is pick a parking lot and time/date. Post it. Ect.
D
I can only imagine the red tape of a non profit

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre-covid I think a few R2R members in Los Angeles used to do Coral Swaps and meets once a month.

Once it's all over definitely would be great to see someone starting something up!

IMPO If I ever owned an LFS I'd run a "Market" section and allow all the local reefers to come sell old equipment and coral.

I'd charge 30% Commission on all their used equipment and let them keep the rest. Maybe 20% Store credit and then 50% to them. I think a big LFS with enough space could profiteer on just that alone.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used to have a local club, we even had our own forum for a while...we jumped ship from RC. We had a couple of experienced reefers which was really nice. We mostly did meetings at various member's houses, sometimes swaps were involved. Many of the members were spread pretty far. I would drive 1.5 hours one way for a meeting, some members were even further. I saw the same burnout I see on this forum, in a couple years either upgrades, moving or break downs. Once the president was losing interest the club disbanded, I think only a handful of the original members still have tanks.

It was more enjoyable when it was just an unorganized get together, once we started to get organized it felt more like work to attend meetings, like meeting participation was more important than being there in spirit.

There is one new person up here in Vermont now who is also on this forum who expressed interest in starting something up again.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used to have a local club, we even had our own forum for a while...we jumped ship from RC. We had a couple of experienced reefers which was really nice. We mostly did meetings at various member's houses, sometimes swaps were involved. Many of the members were spread pretty far. I would drive 1.5 hours one way for a meeting, some members were even further. I saw the same burnout I see on this forum, in a couple years either upgrades, moving or break downs. Once the president was losing interest the club disbanded, I think only a handful of the original members still have tanks.

It was more enjoyable when it was just an unorganized get together, once we started to get organized it felt more like work to attend meetings, like meeting participation was more important than being there in spirit.

There is one new person up here in Vermont now who is also on this forum who expressed interest in starting something up again.
Hate to see all that happen to clubs but i agree i think it's better to find even a few people that are really passionate about reefing and enjoy the hobby without all the bs

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a club really is just a group of people with the same common intrest or hobby. The work and behind the scene stuff shouldnt be a problem or hassle. You should need liability insurance coverage or an hr department for the whinners. Lol
D

OP
OP
U

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a club really is just a group of people with the same common intrest or hobby. The work and behind the scene stuff shouldnt be a problem or hassle. You should need liability insurance coverage or an hr department for the whinners. Lol
D
I Agree

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up the frag tank is a pain. Ive seen these coral carriers lately. Like the frag tree racks inside containers. Those with some lights maybe and a parking lot. Lol. Flow and heat would be good...
A good public place with electrical hook up...
Hmmmm
D

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up the frag tank is a pain. Ive seen these coral carriers lately. Like the frag tree racks inside containers. Those with some lights maybe and a parking lot. Lol. Flow and heat would be good...
A good public place with electrical hook up...
Hmmmm
D

I think some people keep frags in their tank. I had a friend who did that and went to local events to exchange with other hobbyists, so maybe having a whole frag tank isn't needed. Or if you have a anemone that split, etc. Lot's of ways to trade what you have for what you want.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now back to our regularly scheduled programing....FRAG SWAPS & Coral Farmers Markets:cool:

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please stay on topic, this a discussion about frag swaps/markets. Further posting of off topic comments will result in a thread ban.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think frag swaps are going to be allowed Sooner than later.

I’m fully in support of frag trading traditions and have given a lot of frag away to support my lfs. I’m looking forward to this event also.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/san-diego-coral-farmers-market-sunday-april-18-2021-at-9-am-pdt-–-3-pm-pdt.806981/

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back