Anybody interested in following a new build as described below:

eastbay851

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater fish guy who has been in the hobby for 55 years. I am replacing a 120 with a new 120 ACRYLIC with the following:

over the top overflow (no water line at top of tank but... introduces a new, minor problem).

added 1-1/2" acrylic walls around the openings in the top to guide the water over one end of tank
built an attached overflow box to receive the over the top overflow
show how to build a bulkhead out of pvc electrical conduit (use of lithium grease as a sealer on rubber gaskets)
discussion of overflow techniques (and build of reliable overflow siphon (not used but many need these if they have a tempered glass tank)

Plumbing.

show all plumbing of 3 external return pumps and 1 sump return pump (i, after so many years, have decided it is better to have NO motors in the water so i use no wave makers or powerheads for extra flow. this tank has 4 pumps with a potential of 7,500 gallons being pumped). 3 returns are piped through 1" bulkheads at bottom of tank (all this work has already been done but i can go back and photograph if people are interested.
show proper orientation of gate valves and why (lessons learned from gate valves not fully closing after build up of crap in the grooves)
show proper sequence of ball valves and gate valves (and check valves)
show proper location of check valves and their proper orientation (hint: you need check valves on every line with "open" plumbing, i.e. sump. These have to have ball valves associated with them as check valves are an emergency use only (and then maybe...well... not))

Foundation Aquascaping (plumbing and "stands" only, most aquascaping is an individual thing).

show use of elevating first row of rock using light diffusers on pvc fittings
show positioning of return piping and why
show why you should paint the bottom of your tank (i didn t and i know better, dang) only for those who use less than a 1/4" of substrate

if there is interest, i will document... if not... thanks for reading.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im interested in the raised aquascape as I have considered it for my upgrade.
I would not paint the underside bottom. Once rock and coralline take over you wont be able to see it.
Also interested in your no powerhead plumbing. I had a system like that in the early 90's in a 100gal acrylic system. Keep extra check valves and be able to change them out/clean them every few months.
On my 100 system I had a sump and it was also plumbed through the wall into the garage where I had a large sump, 6' skimmer, and chiller.
I was always concerned with a check valve failing but it never happened. Keep them clean.

Oh and start a build thread.

OP
OP
E

eastbay851

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im interested in the raised aquascape as I have considered it for my upgrade.
I would not paint the underside bottom. Once rock and coralline take over you wont be able to see it.
Also interested in your no powerhead plumbing. I had a system like that in the early 90's in a 100gal acrylic system. Keep extra check valves and be able to change them out/clean them every few months.
On my 100 system I had a sump and it was also plumbed through the wall into the garage where I had a large sump, 6' skimmer, and chiller.
I was always concerned with a check valve failing but it never happened. Keep them clean.

Oh and start a build thread.
i paint the outside bottom of the tank as i keep about 1/4" of black sand in my tanks (in the front only, 3 sides on a peninusla) and i have yet to get full coverage on the bottom with coraline or... this way i do not see the top of the stand through the bottom of the acrylic and i do not have to be so careful to cover every inch of the bottom after i clean the sand.

Back