Anybody know when I can buy a REAL yellow tang again after ban lifted?

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get a real Hawaiian yellow tang and I just heard the ban was lifted ….so I’m assuming it’s going to take awhile before they and others are back on the market? Any input? Been wanting for years but imo the captive bred even after years …just does not have that same color yellow …..no matter what they say …

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that there is thousands ready to be shipped and will flood the market asap. My LFS has an order approved in 2 weeks for 100. From what I understand the price will still be about $99-$129 for the first three months or so. If you can wait till May your looking at a $40 dollar fish. Not sure about the east though.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that there is thousands ready to be shipped and will flood the market asap. My LFS has an order approved in 2 weeks for 100. From what I understand the price will still be about $99-$129 for the first three months or so. If you can wait till May your looking at a $40 dollar fish. Not sure about the east though.
Wow that’s great news can’t wait ! Ty

Dfrashid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get a real Hawaiian yellow tang and I just heard the ban was lifted ….so I’m assuming it’s going to take awhile before they and others are back on the market? Any input? Been wanting for years but imo the captive bred even after years …just does not have that same color yellow …..no matter what they say …
At my LFS they have one for $600 buck
20221015_135254.jpg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine that they will become common in about 6 months. It will take a while for collectors to start up again after 2 years of being closed, and then there will be a period of time where only a couple will be trickling in. I will say that the captive bred ones will color up eventually if well fed, as there is no reason for them not to. By now the breeding program has been figured out, and they don't have the HLLE or faded colors anymore. Would be nice to get a big bright one straight off the reef, though. Unfortunately, I imagine that the cost will be high. I'd estimate around 150-300$ for a while. After all, the wild yellows have become almost mythical at this point, and the price may well reflect that. I could be wrong, though. I'm waiting for Hawaiian fish, too. Hoping to get a dwarf angel for my 65 gallon, and a Potter's would be great.

Short version? Give it a few months and they should be available, with any luck. I hope that this helps!

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my LFS they have one for $600 buck
20221015_135254.jpg
That’s a rip off still I wonder if this was before the ban? Definitely looks real not those sick looking ugly captive bred ones ….they looked like a Hawaiian tang but a drug addict form

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine that they will become common in about 6 months. It will take a while for collectors to start up again after 2 years of being closed, and then there will be a period of time where only a couple will be trickling in. I will say that the captive bred ones will color up eventually if well fed, as there is no reason for them not to. By now the breeding program has been figured out, and they don't have the HLLE or faded colors anymore. Would be nice to get a big bright one straight off the reef, though. Unfortunately, I imagine that the cost will be high. I'd estimate around 150-300$ for a while. After all, the wild yellows have become almost mythical at this point, and the price may well reflect that. I could be wrong, though. I'm waiting for Hawaiian fish, too. Hoping to get a dwarf angel for my 65 gallon, and a Potter's would be great.

Short version? Give it a few months and they should be available, with any luck. I hope that this helps!
Appreciate it and I’m sure your very happy about that angel

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s great news can’t wait ! Ty

Wow is there an echo in here?

Dfrashid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a rip off still I wonder if this was before the ban? Definitely looks real not those sick looking ugly captive bred ones ….they looked like a Hawaiian tang but a drug addict form
Hey I'm not the one selling but this is a very top notch store every thing is healthy corral and fish I've never seen a dead fish and all corral is thriving look them up Aquatic collections in Hayward California

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm not the one selling but this is a very top notch store every thing is healthy corral and fish I've never seen a dead fish and all corral is thriving look them up Aquatic collections in Hayward California
Oh I believe you If I was there I would of still bought it lol wouldn’t of thought twice

Exotic_Reefer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, even after they lift the ban prices aren't going to come down to what they used to be. People are greedy. Yes they'll become more readily available, but price wise, I highly doubt they'll be less than $150

Plus there's so many fisheries in Hawaii that have probably shut down after the ban. Imagine having a whole business over there of exporting fish. You'd have bills to pay and that fish ban probably made a lot of them shut down. It'll take time and money for them to get their operations going again

I'm no expert tho, could be wrong

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back