Anyone able to help me with an id on this hair algae

shan1101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’ve been battling this algae for the last two years and seem to have it under control pretty well but I can’t seem to eradicate it completely, it grows in tuffs if that makes sense and it’s extremely difficult to remove. It’s like a wire almost and is attached very strong. It’s annoying as I’ve lost frags due to it as once it seems to start growing on a coral it just takes it over, the bigger corals are fine as there large but any frags just end up wasting away slowly and the algae takes them over. I don’t have the ability to get any snails or crabs etc in my country so that is not an option. I’ve tried reef flux but that made no difference. This is NOT Bryopsis. My phosphates and nitrates are both almost virtually 0. But I do believe this isn’t entirely accurate as the algae will obviously be consuming some. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m now at the stage I’m about to either give up on it all or scrap the whole lot and start again. 50238903-EDAD-449F-AD96-D2BD5CD251A2.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shan1101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’ve been battling this algae for the last two years and seem to have it under control pretty well but I can’t seem to eradicate it completely, it grows in tuffs if that makes sense and it’s extremely difficult to remove. It’s like a wire almost and is attached very strong. It’s annoying as I’ve lost frags due to it as once it seems to start growing on a coral it just takes it over, the bigger corals are fine as there large but any frags just end up wasting away slowly and the algae takes them over. I don’t have the ability to get any snails or crabs etc in my country so that is not an option. I’ve tried reef flux but that made no difference. This is NOT Bryopsis. My phosphates and nitrates are both almost virtually 0. But I do believe this isn’t entirely accurate as the algae will obviously be consuming some. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m now at the stage I’m about to either give up on it all or scrap the whole lot and start again. 50238903-EDAD-449F-AD96-D2BD5CD251A2.jpeg
I think I may have an ID for this - Cladophoropsis.
Sounds like what I have. Super stubborn almost impossible to rid. Any help???

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back