Anyone been successful keeping out pest (esp vermetid snails)?

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who's been been able to keep out vermetid snails and other pest? I would love to hear success stories. But I would not mind hearing failed attepts to learn from.

I was thinking about getting sps, dipping in coral rx 10 min, dip in bayer 10 min, cut off plug, glue on new plug, place inside QT tank, re-dip every week for one month, and finally observe in a new QT tank for 3 months. Thoughts? Too extreme?

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I’ve succesfully prevented aiptasia, vermatid snails, black bugs and asterina stars from getting into my tank. I have to coral QTs and between thorough dipping with coral RX and a month or two of observation nothing harmful has managed to slip by me. Aiptasia and vermatid get glued over then a while of observation to make sure I got them all.

OP
OP
H

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the hobby in the early 2000s and most pest weren't even on the radar, esp vermetid snails.

Looking back on my tank, I definitely had a bunch of vermetid snails covering some of my rocks and equipment. I'm not sure if the pest were rampant back then and we just didn't notice, or if they have just become so common in everyone's tank.

Jphoadley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Vermited snails, quite a few of them! I was moving to a larger tank, so when I did that, I examined every rock as I moved them over and used a needle nose to pull off every one I could find, and superglued any hole that was underneath them, then I dipped the rocks in CoralRX for about 7 minutes. It was kind of an assembly line. Took awhile but I have yet to see any on the new tank.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who's been been able to keep out vermetid snails and other pest? I would love to hear success stories. But I would not mind hearing failed attepts to learn from.

I was thinking about getting sps, dipping in coral rx 10 min, dip in bayer 10 min, cut off plug, glue on new plug, place inside QT tank, re-dip every week for one month, and finally observe in a new QT tank for 3 months. Thoughts? Too extreme?
Aiptasias never make into my tank since it always, snap coral of the frag plug and glue into a fresh new one. Then QT for 2 weeks or longer. Then snap that coral off and glue onto a new frag plug before going into the DT. This is how I stop AEFW and Monti Eating Nudis from entering my DTs.

As for vermitids, I live with them. I just let my sps overgrow them. Just ramp up the flow as much as I can. Then again most of my sps aren’t attached to the rockwork for ease of fragging and maintenance since the only pest that i have failed to curb are digitate hydroids. They are a menace to newly introduced frags but generally dont do much to established corals.

750A2504-4C45-4DD6-A390-5198A0453039.jpeg F30FD4B8-FEDD-4302-80FB-7445C1B3B7DB.jpeg 6DD564E9-7CBF-46E3-A001-7A3C8B4A5829.jpeg

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the hobby in the early 2000s and most pest weren't even on the radar, esp vermetid snails.

Looking back on my tank, I definitely had a bunch of vermetid snails covering some of my rocks and equipment. I'm not sure if the pest were rampant back then and we just didn't notice, or if they have just become so common in everyone's tank.
now everyone fear mongers, so originally benign animals are viewed as satan incarnate

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of vermitid snails, I wish something could eat them , what I’ve been doing is getting encrusting corals to grow over them lol or get some GSP / Xenia to overgrow them

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back