Anyone Build An Orphek or Orphek Style Fixture/Housing?

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After upgrading my 2 Atlantik v4 gen2s with the new Icon led boards, control/pc cards, and pwm fans, I realized I officially I basically have 95% of the guts from the original fixtures. Only things missing for power/internals are a heatsink, 23mm glass convex lenses which I've already sourced, and power supply which is $76 on amazon.

Of course noone is letting go of their fixtures no matter the version being that they're all interchangeable/upgradeable so that leads me to where I currently am with contemplating just building my own housing.

I figure the Atlantik fixtures are literally clear acrylic, some perforated stainless mesh, and a black acrylic back plate so it wouldn't be rocket science to replicate.

So... has anyone done this yet?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried duplicating the Orphek per se but I've built plenty of DIY led fixtures and it's not that difficult (see the link in my signiture box for one reviewed by Dana Riddle). You might be able to find somebody local who can cut teh grooves in the acrylic with a CNC or laser cutter or if you're handy with a router do it yourself with a trim router or table router. Heatsinks are available online from a multitude of suppliers online (I use heatsinkusa.com)

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take a look at BoratPhek light bar that I built this year: it's better than Orphek, no extra PSU bricks, everything is embedded in the Boratphek DIY light bar:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back