Anyone Change from Red Sea RSK300 to Nyos 160?

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello. I have been running an Red Sea RSK300 skimmer on an 80G tank for almost 1 year. Generally, it runs great. But, it has a large footprint, produces a slight hum (that rarely bothers me with cabinet closed), and I am finding that removing and cleaning the neck cleaner is possibly less fun than just removing the entire cup, which on the Red Sea is…not easy. I’ve recently seen the Nyos 160 at an LFS and am thinking of upgrading.

I know there are a TON of reviews on the Q160, but I am wondering whether anyone on here has experience with these two specific skimmers and, if so, I’d appreciate thoughts/comparisons. Certainly, the $500+ could be spent elsewhere .

OP
OP
NotoriousDMC

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. I’ve considered the 120 as well, especially because I run the large ClariSea and (i) could use the space and (ii) the ClariSea definitely reduces the work needed of any skimmer. But, my tank is in basement and I pull in outside (and scrubbed) air and want to pull in as much of that clean air as I can and then there’s also having the larger skimmer for the inevitable upgrade.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from Nyos to Redsea. I love their skimmers personally. I now use a lubricant on all of my skimmer cup seals to aid in their removal for cleaning. Complete game changer.

OP
OP
NotoriousDMC

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Molykote 111. It’s the lubricant Ecotech use on their vortechs. Absolutely not a dumb question!
Purchased and added to RSK300 today. Agree: complete game changer in terms on maintenance of this skimmer. Anyone who has one of these, whether they like it already or not, will know exactly what we mean. Thanks!

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from Nyos to Redsea. I love their skimmers personally. I now use a lubricant on all of my skimmer cup seals to aid in their removal for cleaning. Complete game changer.

I have been using the NYOS 160 for nearly 7 years now (same one) and always hated how difficult it was to remove the collection cup....even with silicon which I've always used since it's been a pain in the butt. But...honestly, after 6 years it still runs quiet. I'm upgrading my tank now and actually considering the new Red Sea Skimmers for the 160 gallon upgrade.

OP
OP
NotoriousDMC

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if it’s appropriate to try to sell something here, but I’ve got a barely used (like 2 months) RSK600. DM if interested as I am looking to clear it out more than making good $.

Anyway, I now run a more appropriately sized RSK300 and here are my thoughts on both.

1. I generally like them. They skim well and do their job.
2. They’re not silent. The AC pump absolutely hums and the standard air silencer doesn’t silence much. The air noise isn’t an issue for me because I run to an outside line and run a CO2 scrubber so the air silencer isn’t even on my skimmer.
3. As recommended, I used molykote 111 as lubricant, and it really makes removing the cup easier (it borders on absurdly difficult without it). Now, I have removed the neck cleanclean the entire cup 1x/week.
4. It is generally “set it and forget it,” but at times can go from skimming great to overflowing or just skimming really wet.
5. I have never been able to get a really dry skim, but I carbon dose (Bacto balance), which might prohibit that and, in any event, Red Sea doesn’t have air adjustment (which I have added) and that leads to my final point…
6. No idea why Red Sea hasn’t (i) fixed the air silencer; (ii) added air adjustment) for (iii) switched to the now available Sicce DC PSK pumps.

I am a Red Sea fan, so to speak, but these are just my honest observations.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been using the NYOS 160 for nearly 7 years now (same one) and always hated how difficult it was to remove the collection cup....even with silicon which I've always used since it's been a pain in the butt. But...honestly, after 6 years it still runs quiet. I'm upgrading my tank now and actually considering the new Red Sea Skimmers for the 160 gallon upgrade.
Check out the Dalua Great White skimmers, they seem really nice. I'm a Deltec user/fan, sold my Nyos a while ago, too many issues and overall too many moving parts for a skimmer.
Dalua GW Skimmer

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
and I am finding that removing and cleaning the neck cleaner is possibly less fun than just removing the entire cup, which on the Red Sea is…not easy.

I use silicone as for the o-ring as you have now discovered makes life much easier.

Regarding the neck cleaner, you can remove it entirely and life is much easier as well. I used a piece of Saran Wrap and placed it neatly in the cavity of the lid where the neck cleaner goes. Then, I used aquarium silicone and filled in that cavity and smoothed it out nicely. Once dry, it keeps the "spooge" from exiting the top of the lid and can be removed if you ever want to go back to that wacky neck cleaner for whatever reason.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back