anyone doing a shoal of longspine cardinalfish?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to buy 5-7 of them for my current tank (having trouble keeping any nutrients up and need to change the scape around but it is rather open) anyone have any trouble keeping these little guys or has anyone spotted any for sale around the NYC long island area? any info would be great

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful lasse, do they do fine with even numbers like 6 or stick to odd u think

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they just seem like an under appreciated fish in this hobby, and super peaceful with eachother so just relaxing

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works with 6 too but it was very powerful with 14. Yes it is a beatuful fish - but bad shippers. They need a calm environment when they are introduced. My mistake - I think - was to introduce two very territorial fishes.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lmk wat u think lasse, wenever u get a chance

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did order them to ship in 2 weeks hopefully they are more acclimated ones, crossing my fingers. They will then be put into a monitoring tank of 20 gallons before the dt. Do you know if they survive medications well? f so they will be treated with copper and prazi if i can

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lmk wat u think lasse, wenever u get a chance

Its the same species

i did order them to ship in 2 weeks hopefully they are more acclimated ones, crossing my fingers. They will then be put into a monitoring tank of 20 gallons before the dt. Do you know if they survive medications well? f so they will be treated with copper and prazi if i can

IME - It is a very sensitive fish during and after transport - IMO very sensitive to stress. I would not practice any prophylactic treatment on these fish - only observation QT for 1 - 3 weeks in a decorated and cycled aquarium. Placed in a calm place and no light during the acclimation and no light before next day. Treatment only if needed because of disease. Feeding with frozen adult artemia - not panic because of thin white pop. Is it a long transport time? After the observation QT - or in the middle of it - start change small amounts of water in the QT tank with help of water from the DT on a daily base. The reason for this is 1. - to get the newcomers to smell the same as the old fish in the DT and 2 - to vaccinate the newcomers with the micro fauna of your DT.

My experiences with both aggressive fresh water fish and salt water fish say that different smell can be a major trigger for aggression (bullying) when new fishes is introduced. I have notice a limited aggression level and time with the method mentioned (small WC from DT to QT) or when I place newcomers in my refugium for the first weeks before introducing them to my DT. I have tested the WC method for aggressive Tanganyika cichlids both when the DT fish can see the newcomers and when they can´t. The result have been the same - more smother introduction to the DT - therefore the conclusion that smell matters.

Some people here does not agree with my no prophylactic strategy for QT - I never use it to any fish at all - only treatment if its needed. My experiences with this cardinalfish is that it is very sensitive for stress and - IMO - the reason why I have missed 6 fish the last half the year is because I was silly enough to introduce a too aggressive species half a year ago. I introduce two Midnight Pygmy Basslet (Manonichthys alleni) and they sometimes turn the whole aquarium to a Roller Coaster when one of them dare to cross the line between their territories.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool i just bought a gallon of fritzyme 9 as it was on sale, gotta check expiration when it arrives

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back