Anyone else feel guilty about ripping out all the montiporas in their aquarium?

tmynice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Sheboygan area and do get downtown Mke occasionally
Hah, too funny. I hardly ever go your way, but I have to go to a wedding in Egg Harbor next weekend. I will be driving right by. I will give you a great deal. Nice size piece of all 4 for 15$ each. I will be driving though that area around 10ish Saturday.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hah, too funny. I hardly ever go your way, but I have to go to a wedding in Egg Harbor next weekend. I will be driving right by. I will give you a great deal. Nice size piece of all 4 for 15$ each. I will be driving though that area around 10ish Saturday.
You got it !!!

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently stopped feeling guilty about it. I do the same with birdsnest. Digis, caps, and birdsnest all grow very fast and frankly it's not worth trying to sell or re-home all the cuttings - assuming there was even a market for them all. I even feel bad just giving the cuttings (or whole colonies) to my LFS because I don't think they'd be able to sell more than a couple frags and it would just occupy shelf space in the store. Just like we prune our shrubs and trees in our yards we prune our corals. Could I propagate every stem I trimmed from my azaleas? Yes. But I don't.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently stopped feeling guilty about it. I do the same with birdsnest. Digis, caps, and birdsnest all grow very fast and frankly it's not worth trying to sell or re-home all the cuttings - assuming there was even a market for them all. I even feel bad just giving the cuttings (or whole colonies) to my LFS because I don't think they'd be able to sell more than a couple frags and it would just occupy shelf space in the store. Just like we prune our shrubs and trees in our yards we prune our corals. Could I propagate every stem I trimmed from my azaleas? Yes. But I don't.
I'm coming around to this way of thinking too... Gardening. It seems to me that acros play nicer together (compared to the aggressive growth of montis). I think when I started out, just seeing something grow that fast was exciting, now I just see pruning work.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm coming around to this way of thinking too... Gardening. It seems to me that acros play nicer together (compared to the aggressive growth of montis). I think when I started out, just seeing something grow that fast was exciting, now I just see pruning work.
[/QUOTE]

Right! I think that some of us are still stuck in the mindset from early days in the hobby when getting SPS to grow at all was an achievement - so we're horrified by the idea of pruning them and throwing away the cuttings, haha.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right about the early day mindset. I just threw away about 4 lbs (wet weight) of coral last night. I think without any destructive forces present (weather, predators) we have to take on that role. I do like the way caps look I just need more space... 1000 Gallons seems about right ;-0.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go through that same guilt all the time lol....I actually just removed almost half of them when I realized they were slowly taking over my tank. I had to dump some nice stuff like Reverse Superman Montis :( They got to the point where I would have to break all of the edges weekly to keep them from reaching the glass. The LFS doesn't even want the more common stuff because there have so much already.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right about the early day mindset. I just threw away about 4 lbs (wet weight) of coral last night. I think without any destructive forces present (weather, predators) we have to take on that role. I do like the way caps look I just need more space... 1000 Gallons seems about right ;-0.

Ya know that's a good point about weather and predators. In the wild corals get broken and trimmed all the time by waves, fish, etc. Maybe it's important to prune them back.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1568729895435.png

I just tore that out and started over again a few weeks ago. I always feel bad too, but it was touching the front glass. Took most of it to the LFS.
Gonna switch those montis over to my frag tank and try a Monti garden with some of the slower growing Monti palawanesis like beach bum, brain freeze, Kung Pow, , altered ego, rainbow Phoenix, etc and a couple unnamed that I have growing and see how that goes.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a piece of Superman that just covered everything.
Tore the tank apart & chipped it all off. It's slowly coming back nut that piece of rock will get a peroxide treatment.

Deaf clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I literally donated green and purple plating monti colonies that wouldn’t fit into a 5 gallon bucket without breaking some pieces off. Never again!! Same with Hollywood stunner chalice.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I murder mine before that happens. :(

Katrina that is so sad. I kill most things also. Wish my size would die though. I do have a nice dendro I would love to have a growth problem with though! ;Shamefullyembarrased

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally donated green and purple plating monti colonies that wouldn’t fit into a 5 gallon bucket without breaking some pieces off. Never again!! Same with Hollywood stunner chalice.

Certain colonies just look better in bigger aquariums. I think Pavonas, Closed Brains, and of course the titular montipora fit in that category. If you have a 3x3 space in your aquarium devoted just for that, I think you have something. If you're like me and only have a 3x2x2 aquarium in total... it's just kind of a waste.

JM2C

530Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This monti took over over a third of my 200 gallon tank. It just became so dominant I finally turned it vertically but it eventually grew out again. Finally I said screw it and turned it upside down. Killed me to do it.

Now in the second picture the rock structure on the right with the red chalice growing off is the underside of the monti. Basically the entire right side of my tank I just upside down monti. Waste not, want not, right?

Still love monti caps, but like everyone else is saying, they gotta stay low so as not to shade out everything. I find the grafted ones to be pretty awesome. At one point I made a checkerboard design with frags.

5D48A93B-3561-4D08-AD76-47E4DF2168AE.jpeg 102EF18F-2276-4ACF-AAB2-7BAA61762F25.jpeg

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always reuse it in a calcium reactor I want to find a couple decent sized dead pieces to mount to Tonga branch for shelves to mount coral to

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being the caring person that I am, I would be able to relieve you all of any guilt by accepting donations - love Monti's and they can have my tank :)
How much is shipping from Colorado to Australia (overnight)?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back