Anyone else get a mailer from BRS encouraging you to shop local at your LFS?

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a mailer that looked like it was from BRS- advertising their brand RODI units on the front, but on the back it had the logo of one of the LFS in my area, and encouraged me to shop local....

Now I'm curious if if BRS sent the mailer, or the LFS sent it and is advertising BRS RODI units? Though the latter would be strange because the LFS does not have my address.

Or perhaps BRS owns the LFS now?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan Batcheller from BRS is buying out every LFS in North America. He's just getting a head start on Advertising

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

xyzner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS carries BRS RODI systems, additives and other miscellaneous items. My guess is that supporting your LFS is also supporting BRS wholesale and the flyer kills two birds with one stone.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I got one telling me to go to the LFS that I absolutely hate, like I'd order everything online if they were the only game in town hate. It went to the great filing cabinet (the garbage).

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a registered BRS "Preferred Reefer" and have not gotten a flyer like that yet.

I would not be surprised if BRS was supporting local fish stores, particularly those catering to salt water.

Have a great Holidays everyone,
Jim

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just looked at the BRS list...of the eleven or so legitimate LFS ( not counting petco, petsmart etc or fresh water only holes in the wall) around Charlotte BRS only lists 2 of them...

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading Snorklr's post, I stopped by BRS and checked. A search for "local fish store" led to the "Find a Local Fish Retailer" page:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fish-finder

I put in my zip code and got 1 Massachusetts, 1 New Hampshire, and 1 Connecticut store.

My local fish store, "All Things Aquatic" , is relatively new. It not making the list was understandable.

Have a great Holidays everyone,
Jim

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I never went to that page before. I punched in the zip for downtown Phoenix (85001). The closest LFS listed is in Las Vegas then a half dozen in California. Guess you only get on the list if they buy through BRS. Not unlike other vendor retail-locator pages but definitely of very limited value to a hobbyist. For those that don't know the Phoenix area has a thriving reef community. There are eight SW LFSs (most also carry FW) within an hour of my home, that I know of, that are worth visiting and a few more that are only so-so.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I support my LFSs whenever possible. I wouldn't take something from Amazon if they sent it free.

I actually have a small LFS in town that has very limited SW stock and sells what he needs to to stay open (lots of reptile food). I have him order me supplies whenever possible.

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you guys saw the poll they ran a couple weeks back asking people where they got the majority of their corals. "LFS" was the highest selected option(I assume this is market research to see if they eventually want to get into corals). Individuals keeping their LFS afloat means that hobbyists will always have local support on hand when something goes wrong. Not just with products but with basic assistance in regards to livestock and the basics of reef keeping. Supporting an LFS provides new customers that will eventually outgrow that LFS and transition to online shopping. There was a great MACNA talk on this a few years back. Additionally BRS sells wholesale to many smaller LFS's that don't have direct accounts with other distributors. Its kind of a win-win for BRS. Its great PR and builds new future customers.
That being said, lots of LFS wont provide support for BRS purchases. For example, locally, if you buy an APEX from BRS the two major stores in my area wont even touch them(this is the same with all equipment). Not even at an hourly rate. We provide Apex installation and customization and I find it nuts that instead of taking on an install job places will flat out refuse to deal with products that aren't purchased at their store. I bet if you ask around at your LFS lots of them will have a similar policy as well though.

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are now in a way having the LFS carry BRS brands I heard they are trying to shrink down online presence to consumers and more geared to wholesalers hence the lfs carrying their items and from my understanding they kinda strong arming them to do so. I could be completely wrong and hope I am.

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are now in a way having the LFS carry BRS brands I heard they are trying to shrink down online presence to consumers and more geared to wholesalers hence the lfs carrying their items and from my understanding they kinda strong arming them to do so. I could be completely wrong and hope I am.
At the rate they are going they’re going to own just about every company associated the hobby so where’s the lfs gonna get supplies.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a mailer that looked like it was from BRS- advertising their brand RODI units on the front, but on the back it had the logo of one of the LFS in my area, and encouraged me to shop local....

Now I'm curious if if BRS sent the mailer, or the LFS sent it and is advertising BRS RODI units? Though the latter would be strange because the LFS does not have my address.

Or perhaps BRS owns the LFS now?
There are multiple stores here that sell BRS 'stuff' - so if you buy it at your LFS - THEY don't pay shipping on individual items. Also - they get more business from the LFS. Its a win-win. People go to the LFS - BRS sells more product

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back