Anyone else get brown flakes with Red Sea Coral Pro Salt?

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
Just wondering if everyone using this salt is having the same issue. I have a couple month old five stage RODI unit and I have city water here in Michigan. I have a heater and circulation pump running but have had brown gunk basically since I started mixing. Is there anything I could be doing to help? My salt water does mix for a while before I use it and I use a covered 40 gallon brute can to mix. I did actually plan to switch to Tropic Marine Pro but for obvious reasons have not. ** Also not trying to start a salt debate here**

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed the same thing (with an array of salts) whenever I do either or both of two things: 1) mix at a temp higher than recommended on the package, and/or 2) mix salt quickly. If I take my time, sprinkle the salt in gradually, and don’t pour a ton in at once, it mixes clean. I think putting too much in at a time creates pockets of especially strong saltwater quick enough to cause dissipation of the calcium, causing the buildups you’re seeing. This is completely just anecdotal experience though, I’m no scientist.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed the same thing (with an array of salts) whenever I do either or both of two things: 1) mix at a temp higher than recommended on the package, and/or 2) mix salt quickly. If I take my time, sprinkle the salt in gradually, and don’t pour a ton in at once, it mixes clean. I think putting too much in at a time creates pockets of especially strong saltwater quick enough to cause dissipation of the calcium, causing the buildups you’re seeing. This is completely just anecdotal experience though, I’m no scientist.
Yeah I typical pour a cup or two cups at a time but will slow it down a bit and confirm the recommended temp to see if that helps. Thanks for your input !

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You let any salt sit for a few days and you will get some precipitation of that brown gunk. I have recently got it from Brightwell salt if it sits for a week.

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
Just wondering if everyone using this salt is having the same issue. I have a couple month old five stage RODI unit and I have city water here in Michigan. I have a heater and circulation pump running but have had brown gunk basically since I started mixing. Is there anything I could be doing to help? My salt water does mix for a while before I use it and I use a covered 40 gallon brute can to mix. I did actually plan to switch to Tropic Marine Pro but for obvious reasons have not. ** Also not trying to start a salt debate here**
Don't heat the water when you mix it.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it and have never seen this.
Yeah I wouldn’t actually say it’s “gunk” at this point it’s more of a brownish scale. I’m thinking it’s pertaining to the amount of time the salt water sits in my bin. Always having 40 gallons mixed on hand when I only use five gallons weekly for a change is a longer time for the water to sit. I’m thinking maybe mixing smaller batches may make more sense.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with Red Sea Pro Salt. Switched to Tropic Marine Pro and no longer get the brown buildup in my saltwater mixing station.
I was planning on making the switch but then I couldn’t find it anywhere for a month or two so I bought 160 gallons more of coral pro.

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response. Really ? Is this a standard practice or a trick of the trade? I have never heard this before but I am definitely willing to give it a try.
Not sure but ive
Thanks for your response. Really ? Is this a standard practice or a trick of the trade? I have never heard this before but I am definitely willing to give it a try.
I believe so as I read it, it says **once you get a clear mix** then heat to tanks temp also how long do you store it? It mixes quick and shouldt be stored for more than 24hr. Hope this helps. I use mine the day of, do the WC then clean the bucket right away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-153015_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-153015_Chrome.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 16

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back