Anyone else get high mag readings in ICP tests this week?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sold on the mag levels that came back in both of my ICPs this week. Both readings are about 100 points higher than my Trident and Salifert mag tests read (both of which are spot on with one another). Mag usually lines up well between ICP and home tests / Trident for me.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mg (from sample on 11/27; measured at ICP on 12/4):
Triton ICP: 1353
Trident: 1367

Since the Trident has a +/-15ppm range and I imagine ICP is about the same, those are pretty well in agreement I'd say.
Interesting and that's the same date of my ICP as well. That's about what I usually see between the 2 as well. I guess i'll find out at my next ICP test for sure.

Thanks for the response.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I recall hearing that Mg testing requires stable temperatures in order to be accurate, but I don't recall how much of a variation could be caused by however much temperature variation... I can't imagine it would explain a 100ppm difference, however. Odd.

(Also; NOTE: My Trident is recently hooked up and not calibrated to my aquarium yet. Doubt that'll explain anything additional, but just FYI.)

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I didn't know that about the temp for mag. Yeah if my salifert didn't match my Trident I would be inclined to believe the ICP. And my Trident has been running a while and recently calibrated too.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I didn't know that about the temp for mag. Yeah if my salifert didn't match my Trident I would be inclined to believe the ICP. And my Trident has been running a while and recently calibrated too.

CMO, I think your Trident and Salifert are more accurate on this one. Something about testing water fresh from the tank. ;)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back