0   0   0
5EC51AF9-12A6-4C1C-ABA2-CE5D91A71330.jpeg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. On several occasions I've seen bubbles emerge from my clowns' anuses. They don't typically gulp at the surface, so I don't know what else it could be. It seems natural that bacteria in their gut could cause fermentation just as it does in other animals.

I mostly feed frozen mysis with the occasional of a butterfly mix, and live brine shrimp from time to time. Oh, and Wolf Brand chili on Sundays....

I have two large dogs and a 13 y/o son, so I'm becoming quite an expert on the subject. But I never expected to see fish do it.
Probably ulcers, I would be stressed if my owner keeps watching me......Hahaha
If he was a rapper his name would be "Clown Flatulet"

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. On several occasions I've seen bubbles emerge from my clowns' anuses. They don't typically gulp at the surface, so I don't know what else it could be. It seems natural that bacteria in their gut could cause fermentation just as it does in other animals.

I mostly feed frozen mysis with the occasional of a butterfly mix, and live brine shrimp from time to time. Oh, and Wolf Brand chili on Sundays....

I have two large dogs and a 13 y/o son, so I'm becoming quite an expert on the subject. But I never expected to see fish do it.
You look in the wrong side of your fish. You might need new glass

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m sorry to ‘burst your bubble’ but it’s unfortunately impossible. Fish with gas bladders can and will periodically inflate these organs and expel the gas through the mouth or gills but not the anus.

Spydersweb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to ‘burst your bubble’ but it’s unfortunately impossible. Fish with gas bladders can and will periodically inflate these organs and expel the gas through the mouth or gills but not the anus.
Well, I mean herring and sand tiger sharks kind of do(but it’s not a byproduct of digestion)

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My hippo tang and my foxface both fart. When they do, the other fish chase the bubbles to the surface. They provide endless entertainment for themselves.
I really have never seen a fish fart until I got these.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol - I have a female swallowtail angelfish that could use a supply of Bean-O. . . She passes bubbles all day long. :D

I had a female swallow tail that did the exact same thing. I swear she swam on propulsion power. She'd just zoom along leaving a trail of bubbles.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IDK, Herrings fart....

I can't speak for others but, there was no mistaking where the bubbles came from on my fish. And it wasn't the end with the gills or mouth. Isn't intestinal gas is usually caused by the digestion of foods with high fiber and not sucking in air and swallowing it? If so, then why would it be much of a stretch for fish to fart?

Like I said, herrings do...and apparently quite loudly.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the other fish reaction ?? :D

fish-fart.jpg

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at an article, apparently air from the swim bladder can escape through the anus... Not caused by food, but apparently by something. And again, if herring do it, why not other fish? It just may be one of those things that hasn't really been observed before.

karlandtanya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK, Herrings fart....

I can't speak for others but, there was no mistaking where the bubbles came from on my fish. And it wasn't the end with the gills or mouth. Isn't intestinal gas is usually caused by the digestion of foods with high fiber and not sucking in air and swallowing it? If so, then why would it be much of a stretch for fish to fart?

Like I said, herrings do...and apparently quite loudly.

Yes, they surely do:

Flatulent fish net Ig Nobel award
Automatic Undersea Recording of Fish Farts

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Isn't the scientific terminology for this called BURPING ;)

So fish burp but don't fart---Sorry, I think more research needs to be done on this. Who wants to file the grant papers?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back