Anyone else having trouble with TTM

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice now, I've had fish make it all the way through the TTM only to die on the last day of QT.

First was a porcupine puffer, water looked clear and good the night before, the next morning water was very soiled and dirty and the puffer was dead.

Last night an Acchillies Tang was dead this morning. He was the best eater and very active through the whole process.... Frustrating as that's an expensive fish.

Friday evening I was out and got a email from my power company saying that I had a power outage at my house. Turns out a car hit a telephone pole and broke it off.

Went home and set up a car battery and inverter to keep everything alive. Made it through till 8:30 Am the next day, All fish survived. But now two days later and the tang is dead.

Is it possible that the power outage damaged the fish somehow, and it just took a while to finish it off?

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of ttm. Doesn't treat velvet and many other issues that traditional qt can.
It sure does treat Velvet... IF you do 4 36hr transfers at the beginning. Instead of 5 72hr transfers.

I also do a peroxide dip and a freshwater dip just after acclimation. In addition I add paraguard on the first and third 36hr tanks, for flukes.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Just to be clear, on 2-3 different fish now you have finished a course of "X" days in TTM, then it was when you placed them in a separate QT tank for further post-TTM observation that they all would die on you?)

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Just to be clear, on 2-3 different fish now you have finished a course of "X" days in TTM, then it was when you placed them in a separate QT tank for further post-TTM observation that they all would die on you?)
They die on the last day of TTM Qt, never make it to the observation phase. I've had so much success in the past, but recently no luck.

My experience has been that IF I can get the fish through the first 36 hr. tank, the survival rate goes way up. They rarely ever die, unless I can't get them to eat.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Yes, that is odd. Unless (coincidentally in each case), there was a toxic ammonia build up or oxygen deprivation in the last tank. Very sorry for your losses! :(

OP
OP
ThePlummer

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Yes, that is odd. Unless (coincidentally in each case), there was a toxic ammonia build up or oxygen deprivation in the last tank. Very sorry for your losses! :(
I use ammoloc on the 72 hr transfers, haven't found it necessary to use it on the 36, unless I'm QTing a larger fish.

As far as O2, I used to use airstones... didn't do very well. Then I bought 4 Innovative marine mini wave pumps, turn them all the way down and set them on random, with the pump pointing straight up, seems to work welll..... usually.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8FBF7D6C-7412-499A-AC49-7C1DF81DD061.jpeg
DC689AA6-18B6-4F2A-B21C-DEF7B8AF7A79.jpeg

This was the lowest-tech TTM I ever did— 2-gallon fishbowls, for a Purple Tang the size of a silver half-dollar! (He’s a big-boy now.) :)

FREAKINRICAN69

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s TTM? Sorry for my negligence of not knowing this term. Lol

also how big is that acclimation container the purple is in?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acclimation box is the “Shu” model. (Think prison – – special housing unit. Lol), from Octo Aquatics. 14 1/2” long, 6” wide and 6” deep. Very strong magnets.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been that IF I can get the fish through the first 36 hr. tank, the survival rate goes way up. They rarely ever die, unless I can't get them to eat.
I agree. If they are eating after two days, they make it to the 14 day mark for me. I've put my entire population through TTM. I do the first 8 transfers at 24 hrs to clear velvet, then another 3 at 48 hrs to clear ich. 14 days and done.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have more than one fish per bucket or small tank, but none of the tanks are cycled in any way, so you’d have to be more cautious about ammonia-rise if you did multiples. (Search “TTM” here on R2R and read up, if you’d ever like to give it a try.)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do TTM but one fish per bucket unless tiny and I feed very small amounts of washed mysis except right before I transfer them.

I would not treat with antibiotics during TTM since focus is not great at binding the food and antibiotics will increase potential bacterial bloom.

I would do that treatment in a observation tank.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's odd. Mines never died on the last day. I do use 10g tanks at minimum. I feel the 5g buckets are too small.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back