Anyone else lose track of their Corals names?

IamChrismWard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I have a picture folder on my phone and I will screenshot the coral with the name or take a picture and add text to it

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I didn't have an app on my phone I don't think I would remember them all. I take a pic of it the day I get it and store it in the inhabitants diary - same for my fish and inverts (except CUC). App also keeps track of my weekly tests and graphs the changes.
More info on this app please.

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have less trouble remembering coral names than I do people names. I think it's because I thoroughly research them before I buy them, so I internalize that information to a degree that I don't if someone simply introduces themselves!

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only remember the zoas, but even some of them dont have names. Everything else is an acro, duncans, frogspawn, mushrooms, etc. I don't remember most of the names but also my most expensive frag in my tank was probably $30. Guess I would know remember the names if I paid form for them.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am I the only person that has just completely forgot the specific names to their corals. I feel like it something I should know but I just dont. I have some zoas, acans and blastos but just do not know the specific name of them all. Am I the only one?
I try to recite mine every few days and also use them when visitors ask what they are. Common names are fine. But their taxonomy is cooler, IMO.

CnidaChris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to recite mine every few days and also use them when visitors ask what they are. Common names are fine. But their taxonomy is cooler, IMO.
I wish more people used the taxonomic names. Unfortunately then a lot things would just be named Zoanthid sp.

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSA Mohawk Zoa.jpg
Jose Crab Nebula Zoa.jpg
Captain America zoa.jpg

William Shatner Senior Moment GIF

Peter A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grab the pics from the online store I buy them from or take a pic if it’s from another reefer. I paste the pics, the names, and care requirements into a word doc then print it to a pdf file. When people come over I open the pdf on a tablet so they can identify what’s in the tank.

kdogley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I didn't have an app on my phone I don't think I would remember them all. I take a pic of it the day I get it and store it in the inhabitants diary - same for my fish and inverts (except CUC). App also keeps track of my weekly tests and graphs the changes.
Hi could you please tell me the name of the app you are using as I get older can’t remember all these fancy names
Thank you

TanksJB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Names are important because I want to look up something about care and feeding once in a while. I have been going to my order list from my supplier when I don't know the name.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll use "the names" when researching … checking flow needs, best placements, etc. After that I call them the $50 one … the $$89 one, the one a group member gave as a freebie! :D

SaltyVisions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most zoas, shrooms, chalice, favia, cyphastrea, stylocoeniella I’m typically good at remembering.

acans and sps I struggle with. Not sure if it’s because even the slightest color variant begets a new name (IMO) or because I’m not a huge stick fan. If there’s a vast color difference, IE Myagi tort to Stawberry Shortcake, I get it and have a better chance of retaining the info.

for those I’ve purchased that have a name I keep an excel doc with the info as a future point of reference. Def. going to check out some of the apps referenced in the replies though.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep it simple, the green one, the orange one, the wavey one, the green fuzzy one. I don't buy into the made up designer names.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only care about names when I’m looking and know that’s the look I want as it makes it easier than describing it by color. Once it goes in my tank I don’t care, I’m in this hobby because nature is awesome and I love the ocean...not because I’m some wanna be pawn shop dope selling “baseball cards”.

I see some of these folks at the fish store “yo dawg you got any of that fire Walt Disney acro”? They are so ridiculous to me, those types are always leeching onto the local aquarium groups trying to trade and sell “rare only” corals... annoying.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back