Anyone else tired of oversaturated, photoshopped to death, photos of corals?

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Edds Coral Cave

The pic is altered. To my knowledge there is no zoanthid with a pastel pink and blue body with yellow skirts. It just looks like a messed up eagle eye.

I really dont see the point of that exercise. Is anyone debating that a photo's color can be changed with computer software?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge there is no zoanthid with a pastel pink and blue body with yellow skirts.

I don't know if the pic is real or fake but there are zoanthids with pastel pink, blue, yellow, green, you name it. Coralmorphologic had loads of crazy pastel colored zoas.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ Edds Coral, I am 99% sure that it is altered.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 100% sure that pic is altered. The one in the far left of the frame is what the zoas look like.

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've followed this thread but tried to keep from commenting, but I've come across a seller on ebay, to my knowledge they are not a vendor on here. They have the absolutely most noticablely altered photo's i've ever scene, its just obsence these photo's, and yet some how they have what I would consider "good" feedback. Just makes me sick! I've never dealt with them personally but I wouldn't trust them with a dollar.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if the pic is real or fake but there are zoanthids with pastel pink, blue, yellow, green, you name it. Coralmorphologic had loads of crazy pastel colored zoas.

Thanks for the lesson. :)

Guess I meant to say I'm 99 percent certain THAT particular pattern/color combination doesnt exist, but new zoas are popping up all of the time so who knows.

Edds Coral Cave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep its fake.

this is the original....

3063_10151916380935265_243209369_n.jpg

as for the comment above about the one on the left being the right one..it isnt. the pic is of a mixed colony, so the zoa on left is a different colour/morph.

im only posting these to show how simple it is to fool people..or not lol..

i am also fed up with false adverts for zoas. everyone knows they can be very bright but showing them off after photoshopping should be a crime...in fact im pretty sure it is...

Edds Coral Cave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these are all REAL macro shots, with no touching up or editing...

391172_10151885117515265_26456190_n.jpg

314734_10151885117675265_1453392070_n.jpg

292301_10151885118250265_1592222809_n.jpg

552298_10151885118930265_2138769027_n.jpg

as for how to get these shots, heres a rough guide for you :)

on the top of the camera youll find the mode seleting disc, i set it to the picture of a camera (little red picture on mine, in between SRAUTO and P)
Then you can press left twice on the DPAD around the OK button.
This puts it in super macro mode. this means you can zoom right in to just a polyp size or smaller and still get a nice clear shot.

heres one of some montipora, again not edited
524116_10151885117225265_62511151_n.jpg

I love macro photography, its probably the main reason i got this camera and the main type of pictures i take. corals are especially good to do macro with, as long as they stay relatively still lol

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a693481d-65ab-e631.jpg

a693481d-6529-4478.jpg

a693481d-6451-6eaa.jpg

So this should be a crime to show them off or if I offered them for sale? I photoshopped this picture. Like I do every picture I take. But this is EXACTLY how they look in my tank. Don't believe me? Fine. There are folks on here that have seen my tank and will vouch for me. PLUS well my feedback is pretty good too....

Last edited:

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a693481d-65ab-e631.jpg

a693481d-6529-4478.jpg

a693481d-6451-6eaa.jpg

So this should be a crime to show them off or if I offered them for sale? I photoshopped this picture. Like I do every picture I take. But this is EXACTLY how they look in my tank. Don't believe me? Fine. There are folks on here that have seen my tank and will vouch for me. PLUS well my feedback is pretty good too....

I don't see a problem at all with those photos, but i also have the same zoas and know thats what they look like in my tank too. The hard part is when new stuff is being sold that i haven't seen in person and you dont know what they are supoosed to look like. and Dave with pics like that, i would by from you any day. and by the way, your last pic that is top down probably is showing a litlle less color than what you would see in person.

nice pics

bob

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double post

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank always looks faded out, but then again, I don't i know how to photoshop so maybe it looks great.
IMG_1997.jpg

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine if some old timer with his 6500K MH lighting starts buying some of these new corals. NOTHING is going to look like it did in the picture, in his tank :bigsmile:

Even someone running all 10k t5's aren't going to see the beauty in corals that are under 20+k leds (or even t5's for that matter).... quite honestly I am surprised how long this has gone on after this ^ comment alone.

Heres a little example...
DSCN0860.jpg

Pretty huh... thats no lights, only flash, no editing.

Here is that same piece in my reef later that day or maybe a couple days later:
DSCN0869.jpg

With a more accurate coloration, I didnt do anything more then cropped it and maybe hit auto color/contrast.....if I even did that.

I'm not good with photoshop or taking pics in general but I think this should pretty much prove the point that if your lights suck, your corals aren't going to look like they could, or should.

Just incase tho...
IMAG0353.jpg

Different piece, same holding tank, same flash

Same piece in my reef:
DSCN0654.jpg

Here is another with my reef lights on, just a closer shot and while it was still coloring up some:
DSCN0683.jpg

and just for fun, same piece in my reef only blue lights:
DSCN0669.jpg

Sure these aren't the most amazingly colored pieces, but as you can clearly see from these examples lighting alone plays a huge factor in the colors of coral, so before you point the finger at the vendor whos pic doesn't look the same as the coral does under your lights maybe you should ask yourself if your the one misrepresenting the piece with inadequate lighting ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even someone running all 10k t5's aren't going to see the beauty in corals that are under 20+k leds (or even t5's for that matter).... quite honestly I am surprised how long this has gone on after this ^ comment alone.

Heres a little example...
DSCN0860.jpg

Pretty huh... thats no lights, only flash, no editing.

Here is that same piece in my reef later that day or maybe a couple days later:
DSCN0869.jpg

With a more accurate coloration, I didnt do anything more then cropped it and maybe hit auto color/contrast.....if I even did that.

I'm not good with photoshop or taking pics in general but I think this should pretty much prove the point that if your lights suck, your corals aren't going to look like they could, or should.

Just incase tho...
IMAG0353.jpg

Different piece, same holding tank, same flash

Same piece in my reef:
DSCN0654.jpg

Here is another with my reef lights on, just a closer shot and while it was still coloring up some:
DSCN0683.jpg

and just for fun, same piece in my reef only blue lights:
DSCN0669.jpg

Sure these aren't the most amazingly colored pieces, but as you can clearly see from these examples lighting alone plays a huge factor in the colors of coral, so before you point the finger at the vendor whos pic doesn't look the same as the coral does under your lights maybe you should ask yourself if your the one misrepresenting the piece with inadequate lighting ;)
The point you bring up about diff lighting is valid but think of it this way.
I buy a coral that looks awesome online in a pic, I get it home and it doesn't look like the pic no matter what lighting.
6500k, 20k, MH, T5, LED. We're talking about photoshopping not difference in lighting.
Some corals are so photoshopped they won't even look like the pic under all top of the line Royal blue LEDs! That's the point we bring up.

OP
OP
R

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a693481d-65ab-e631.jpg

a693481d-6529-4478.jpg

a693481d-6451-6eaa.jpg

Dave, photoshopping is not a bad thing if it is done to more accurately show a corals true colors.
We are talking about people, not just vendors, that intentionally OVER-photoshop they're pic knowing darn well it is not an accurate pic with intention of selling it faster or for more money.

OP
OP
R

Reefing8EZ

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning I doubted myself. Thought it was my lighting or something.
But I don't run iwasaki 6500k and I don't think anyone else does anymore..
Even under my Radion, not an el cheapo LED, or under my ati sunpower I cannot get some of my corals to ever look like what they were sold to me as.
It's sad because I believe this is one big reason why many new hobbyist get out.

Edds Coral Cave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photoshopping is a very broad term.

if someone were to take a photo of their corals for sale, ie zoas, adjust the white balance etc thats ok.
if someone takes the above photo then runs it through photoshop to clear up any noise in the pic or to basically take any irregularities out then thats ok..

its when someone take sa pic of a zoa and photoshops it so that the colours are different, or more vibrant and saturated. thats where the problem lies.

like the examples i posted in previous pages, some are very easy to tell if fake, but others can be made more colourful and vibrant in PS and this isnt fair.

I recently got some Blue Steels from someone online, they looked very bright blue in his pic, just under T5s. i received them, and had them under T5s but a few more tubes than the seller, and they look dull as anything lol
then a week later i bought a large colony of unopened zoas (they had only just arrived at shop) and after a few days they fully opened to be the brightest pale blue zoas ive ever had!

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a little photoshopping to adjust white balance and what not is bad. As the OP stated its the over saturation that is getting bad, like these. These are for sale on eBay right now.

Attachments

• image-1397828997.jpg
    image-1397828997.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 179
  • image-3607426131.jpg
    image-3607426131.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 191

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back