Anyone else wish BRS would knock it off with the scammy promotions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyday I get a scammy email from them about all the FrEe sTuFF they're giving away, and then the email is completely a let down.

Just yesterday:

"Take the mystery out of mystery reward! $100-$500 GAURANTEED!" then you open the email "for a few lucky preferred members" What exactly is guaranteed then?

They're literally making fun of THEMSELVES with the mystery rewards that aren't so mysteriously always $10 off.. and then they find a way to one up their ridiculousness in the body of the email.

Seems like it has gotten much worse recently.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like every other promotional email I get from every other businesses. Just unsubscribe if you don't want to get it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can very simply unsubscribe from the email list and stop shopping there if you please. I, for one, LOVE the giveaways, especially Customer Appreciation week. Sure, I could be upset I didn't get the $100 or $500 card, but I'm definitely happy to get a guaranteed $10 off my next order.

All you have to do is make a purchase. The promotions I dislike are the ones that make me "like" a bunch of posts or pages or solicit friends on my social media accounts that I otherwise wouldn't.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Generally, I like their promotions. They don’t have to give away free stuff and even a $10 promo card is still a discount.

However, that email was just a blatant lie. Nothing was ‘guaranteed’ at all, unless you ‘won’ the draw. There’s no need for them to mislead people.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can very simply unsubscribe from the email list and stop shopping there if you please. I, for one, LOVE the giveaways, especially Customer Appreciation week. Sure, I could be upset I didn't get the $100 or $500 card, but I'm definitely happy to get a guaranteed $10 off my next order.

The problem with the email in question is they said you were guaranteed to get a $100 or $500 card, which just wasn’t true.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that something has changed with them. They are slowly seeming sleazy. Like a used salesman type of situation. Instead of all this nonesense, how about giving free shipping on everything like their competitors do. I used to LOVE BRS. Now I just like them and I am shopping from their competitors more and more. I guess every dynasty comes to an end.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that something has changed with them. They are slowly seeming sleazy. Like a used salesman type of situation. Instead of all this nonesense, how about giving free shipping on everything like their competitors do. I used to LOVE BRS. Now I just like them and I am shopping from their competitors more and more. I guess every dynasty comes to an end.

I know Saltwateraquarium.com does free ship on all orders, but who else has no minimum? Premium Aquatics has a minimum purchase, albeit $10 less than BRS.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, we can't all be winners of the bigger gift cards. I wish I was a winner, but never have been. I have received 10+ $10 gift cards, BUT, I still understand that everyone can't be winners. I have said some things against BRS as of late, BUT, this will not be one, as I understand their are only so many bigger gift cards available. We all can't get a $100 or $500 gift card, that's not how a giveaway works. Most will get the minimum gift card, then a few will get the next level gift card, and, at last someone will get the golden gift card.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the email in question is they said you were guaranteed to get a $100 or $500 card, which just wasn’t true.
It doesn't say that YOU are guaranteed $100 or $500, just that SOMEONE is. So that's not a lie. It's advertising, not always a pretty thing to look at but it got attention and that's the end goal

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chicken costume had me laughing but the everyday email is definitely not needed

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even recieve the email in question yesterday, and I get their emails...

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Presumably someone was already ‘guaranteed’ a $100 or $500 card, by the way the promotion worked.

Technically did they do what they said? Yes. Was is designed to intentionally mislead? Yes, in my opinion. Is that how advertising works? Yes.

Is it good that they are trying to mislead their customers? That is where I have the concerns.

Don’t get wrong, I like BRS and, as I said earlier, I like their promotions. But I don’t think they need to stoop that low. The event encouraged me to make a purchase before that email came out.

1663F7D8-2969-4B4A-953A-2139B5EC883E.jpeg

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the ‘Mystery’ Out of Mystery Rewards? $100 & $500 GUARANTEED for a Few Lucky Preferred Reefers!

Taken directly from that promotional email in question. Unless "few lucky reefers" actually can be proven to be "zero lucky reefers," the messaging seems pretty clear.

Never mind their emails, they are known for throwing things in random boxes even outside of promo events (like the recent Hanna multi-parameter-test kit give-aways). Last year I bought some Neptune FMMs and some RODI media and got a COR20.

If I am shopping with BRS for my supplies anyway, even their most ubiquitous reward of 10$ is still 10$ [that is free].

Also, consider other promotions. Reef2Reef has its own with its Partner Membership drive. I, of all people, actually won something. I didn't sign up for the reward potential, though; I did it to contribute to a resource that I love using. I've never won anything.

What is scammy about such a promotion [to get people to buy/sign up]?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just blend at this point, I don't open them just send them to trash. You should be able to remove yourself from the distro list.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish they would stop with the promotions because it causes a delay in getting my stuff sent out. Other than that I have nothing but respect for a company started my a couple of people from next to nothing. Ryan didn't have to get a "small" loan of a couple hundred thousand dollars or more like many of the big business owners out there.
Their vids are getting a bit tiresome though. The good side is that no one is forced to watch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back