anyone ever seen anything that lets you link your controller to mimic current conditions of a reef?

skulls_and_sparrows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking it would be really cool if you could hook up your controller to a reef (a website that monitors the said reef) somewhere in the world and have it the temp (change accordinginly) and lights (simulate sunset and sunrise and possibly even cloud cover) to that reef on a daily basis?

has anyone done this, heard of it...or maybe its already out there...

I know that with my neptune, I could look at a website and change it manually in the morning and evening, but having something linked to a website and talk to the controller, would be cool I think...

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The neptune apex has sunrise/sunset tables with temperature built in. You just need to write the proper code for it to simulate the tables.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneye isnt a controller, just an alarm. Your best bet would be for the apex sim, I would like to figure out the programming for this as well.

OP
OP
S

skulls_and_sparrows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The neptune apex has sunrise/sunset tables with temperature built in. You just need to write the proper code for it to simulate the tables.

maybe I will contact them and see what the process looks like for that code, or maybe I can buy the code from them. That would be kind of a band aid...as that is just my data put into the program...I want it to mimic a reef say in fiji...

maybe I have something on my hands here...but now that its made known to the world, somebody might take my brilliant idea and I dont see any rewards from it...lol...

Last edited:

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe I will contact them and see what the process looks like for that code, or maybe I can buy the code from them. That would be kind of a band aid...as that is just my data put into the program...I want it to mimic a reef say in fiji...

maybe I have something on my hands here...but now that its made known to the world, somebody might take my brilliant idea and I dont see any rewards from it...lol...

Yeah for sure. I think your idea is great!! If you look in the Apex manual it tells you how to program your lights and heater to mimic the tables. Its really easy. I just prefer a more constant light and temp cycle.

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years ago I wrote some custom software for my Reef Angel controller to mimic lighting from around the world. I have software on my PC that polls the internet every 10 minutes for weather conditions in the top 10 locations I choose and then records a value associated with that weather to one that I programmed (severe storm, rain, overcast, cloudy, partly cloudy, full sun, and of course gradual ramp up and down of lighting). As an example, it was raining at 9am on the great barrier reef local time, I have my LED lights come on at 2pm and will mimic the weather during the morning. I added the RF module so I could connect my MP40 so my flow also can somewhat mimic weather (1 custom "storm mode" I made for it, the rest pick between the various preset options). From the Reef Angel I can just pick 1-10 on the "location" I want to mimic and it does the rest for me.

It was all fun and gimmick though, something I can say "look what my tank can do", but the reality is it provides no benefit and the novelty wore off, today I just use gradual ramp up and down times on my LEDs but don't really mess with the weather/location feature anymore. I can control my DIY LED fixture from my old 2nd Gen iPod Touch still, and that is enough for me.

OP
OP
S

skulls_and_sparrows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years ago I wrote some custom software for my Reef Angel controller to mimic lighting from around the world. I have software on my PC that polls the internet every 10 minutes for weather conditions in the top 10 locations I choose and then records a value associated with that weather to one that I programmed (severe storm, rain, overcast, cloudy, partly cloudy, full sun, and of course gradual ramp up and down of lighting). As an example, it was raining at 9am on the great barrier reef local time, I have my LED lights come on at 2pm and will mimic the weather during the morning. I added the RF module so I could connect my MP40 so my flow also can somewhat mimic weather (1 custom "storm mode" I made for it, the rest pick between the various preset options). From the Reef Angel I can just pick 1-10 on the "location" I want to mimic and it does the rest for me.

It was all fun and gimmick though, something I can say "look what my tank can do", but the reality is it provides no benefit and the novelty wore off, today I just use gradual ramp up and down times on my LEDs but don't really mess with the weather/location feature anymore. I can control my DIY LED fixture from my old 2nd Gen iPod Touch still, and that is enough for me.

Thats sweet!!! Yeah, while it may not see massive benefits on anything from lighting and wave motion, I still think its cool...but I do think there could be some benefits from mimicing the tempature and the length of sunrise and sunset, to make it that bit more natural :)

Sounds like you had a sweet set up, controlling your lights via iphone is very cool!!!

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have an Apex, it is relatively easy. SUN is the command for using the built-in sunrise/sunset table that varies with the Caribbean. RT is the temperature command that does the same. I have set up to use both. Have a look in the unofficial user's guide, they are both explained in-depth there.

CJ

OP
OP
S

skulls_and_sparrows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have an Apex, it is relatively easy. SUN is the command for using the built-in sunrise/sunset table that varies with the Caribbean. RT is the temperature command that does the same. I have set up to use both. Have a look in the unofficial user's guide, they are both explained in-depth there.

CJ

thanks...Ill be doing the tempature that you have suggested...but I am getting the new maxspect p-series lights with the controller, so I will have to make do with what that has for options for me...

Back